Cold Thur night

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Re: Cold Thur night

Post by stevelau1911 »

One Moso also had a surprising number of undamaged leaves. I'm going to keep a close eye on this one.
If you have it completely covered up, I think it would be pretty hard to have it completely dessicated. I'm finding that all the ones I have with a plastic cover over them are hardly getting any leaf burn while the mosos in the wind with no protection are getting close to top-killed depite only breaking the 10F mark twice. If you are willing to keep it wind-protected every winter no matter how big it gets, I think 3 inches by 40ft should be possible.

Today it reached 48F and the snow is almost completely melted so I can have a good look at my bamboos.
I've found that the worst performers so far are Bambusa vulgaris-top killed, F Robusta-nearly 100% leaf burn P-Henon mostly leaf burned and P-Vivax(regular green kind). They might get hardy enough to over-winter after next year, or they might keep dying back and stay small, but they shouldn't be a first pick for a zone 6 bamboo grower.

Everything else in the garden seems to be holding its green pretty well.

The bamboos that had little to no damage here are:
F Rufa
P Atrovaginata
P Aureosulcata(yellow groove)
P Bissetii
P Parvifolia
P Rubromarginata

Other than the Bissetii, all of these bamboos were planted in 2009 and they are already showing exceptional hardiness. Lets hope the weather stays fairly warm for the next 7 weeks.
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

stevelau1911 wrote:
One Moso also had a surprising number of undamaged leaves. I'm going to keep a close eye on this one.
If you have it completely covered up, I think it would be pretty hard to have it completely dessicated. I'm finding that all the ones I have with a plastic cover over them are hardly getting any leaf burn while the mosos in the wind with no protection are getting close to top-killed depite only breaking the 10F mark twice. If you are willing to keep it wind-protected every winter no matter how big it gets, I think 3 inches by 40ft should be possible.
The Moso in question was not covered. Actually none of the Moso are covered though I do have two pots of Anderson Clone in the house.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
needmore
Location info: 0

Post by needmore »

My in-ground Moso is in better shape than I anticipated...but still 6-8 weeks of potential subzero to go...
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1

Post by bambooweb »

This winters damage to my bamboo has me more confused than ever. It has not gone below 0*F but most of the damage seemed to come from a cold snap last fall when things were actively growing and it dropped to 10* on a windy night. As the wind flowed around trees and buildings it damaged plants that should have easily survived the cold temps and skipped plants that are tender.

I have a Shibataea kumasaca that only has a few leaves burnt along the tips and edges but 4 feet from it is another plant that is completely top killed. The difference is the damaged plant is on the north side of a pine tree and the good looking plant is on the west side of the trunk.

I'll have to wait till March to assess the complete damage.

Bill
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

Get the leaves fried right away in winter; it takes all the wondering and worry out of it. :)
--Mike
Bamboo Outlaw
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Bill, same here. I have many plants that right now appear may indeed be top killed that should not have been hurt. Everything was actively growing when we got hit by all this. This doen't look good at all.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

Steve did you get much damage to your multiplex's. I did. Much leaf burn is beginging to show(long delayed reaction to the freeze), that does not make me feel hopefull for other species. Only species I think I lost are vulgaris and maybe boniopsis but with the leaf burn showing on the multiplexes this bad maybe I lost others. Spring will tell.
MarCat
Bamboo Outlaw
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Yes I did. I also have a lot of burnt Gracilis, maybe toast.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

On average how do bamboos usually react after getting complete leaf-burn, but no culm damage and re-leafing?
I would assume that they can still get bigger since a lot of energy is stored in the existing culms which can be used for the new shoots as long as their leaf buds are still good. It is also sometimes hard to tell if the leaf buds are still alive because the culms and branches often stay green despite being top-killed.
bambootony

Post by bambootony »

Thuja wrote:Get the leaves fried right away in winter; it takes all the wondering and worry out of it. :)
Ooooo!!!! That is UGLY!!!
Yes, my Rubro looks the worst of all right now.
The culms look OK so it should re-leaf come spring.....
The Henon I got in October looks ok. Slight damage.
Maybe 10% leaf burn.
40 miles N.E of st louis
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

stevelau1911 wrote:On average how do bamboos usually react after getting complete leaf-burn, but no culm damage and re-leafing?
I would assume that they can still get bigger since a lot of energy is stored in the existing culms which can be used for the new shoots as long as their leaf buds are still good. It is also sometimes hard to tell if the leaf buds are still alive because the culms and branches often stay green despite being top-killed.
I have seen Yellow Groove re-leaf from a live, but completely defoliated culm. It depends on how much of a hurry you are to have it happen because the plant does this last after putting up shoots.

I am still amazed that the P.a. 'Koi' is looking so good. :? Still have a lot of Winter to go so we will see what shape it is in by Spring.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.