ABS at-large vote

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

CadyG
Location info: 0
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

RE: ABS at-large vote

Post by CadyG »

I must confess that I am worse than apathetic; I'm disenchanted with ABS and am hovering on the verge of not renewing my membership next year. The organization seems stagnant to me, without much in the way of encouraging new leadership or involvement.

I do think the research is interesting, but a lot of it is too esoteric for an Average Bamboo Jane like me to really wrap my enthusiasm around. I'd like to see more on the pragmatic level of educating the Green Industry retail and wholesale markets, as well as the general public, about the value and uses of bamboo.
Cady G.
"Killed two..." -- Seiji Miyaguchi/Kyuzo
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

Couldn't agree with you more... I feel right at home with BambooWeb.info. Where has our ABS gone...
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

I voted via e-mail, but never got a confirmation, so I'm guessing that my vote wasn't counted. :(
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: ABS at-large vote

Post by Roy »

mantis wrote:I voted via e-mail, but never got a confirmation, so I'm guessing that my vote wasn't counted. :(
Being a member of Bambooweb.info might not equate with being a member of ABS. :lol:
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
Roy

Post by Roy »

CadyG wrote:I must confess that I am worse than apathetic; I'm disenchanted with ABS and am hovering on the verge of not renewing my membership next year. The organization seems stagnant to me, without much in the way of encouraging new leadership or involvement.

I do think the research is interesting, but a lot of it is too esoteric for an Average Bamboo Jane like me to really wrap my enthusiasm around. I'd like to see more on the pragmatic level of educating the Green Industry retail and wholesale markets, as well as the general public, about the value and uses of bamboo.
I usually don't get excited about ABS elections because most of the times the names on the ballot don't ring any bells in my head that I've ever had communications with and wouldn't expect any communications if these people were elected.

This election is different. The "Needmore Votes Kid" is already on board as a communications kind of guy. In fact, I went through the ABS membership list and emailed select people that I thought I might have some sway with and listed the reasons I was supporting the "Needmore Votes Kid" and asking them to consider voting for him.

If anybody wants to see my email supporting the "Needmore Votes Kid", just look in my "Profile" and email me direct and I will forward a copy to you. :usa2:
Roy Rogers
mantis

Post by mantis »

Roy wrote: Being a member of Bambooweb.info might not equate with being a member of ABS. :lol:
My dues are paid through 2008. Member # 5569 :P
Roy

Post by Roy »

mantis wrote:
Roy wrote: Being a member of Bambooweb.info might not equate with being a member of ABS. :lol:
My dues are paid through 2008. Member # 5569 :P
I wonder if the member number has anything to do with the number of people who have ever been a member of ABS?

I would tell you my number, but then I would have to kill you! :D

I think paid membership runs near a thousand members. And I think it has been that way for a long time. If membership had increased in the same ratio as the popularity of bamboo over the last 20 years, then ABS would be at least 20 thousand strong.
Roy Rogers
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by bambooweb »

mantis wrote:I voted via e-mail, but never got a confirmation, so I'm guessing that my vote wasn't counted. :(
I guess that means you get another vote :wink:

I think the membership had a high number of 1400 before the KoiKeeper fiasco and the magazine being crap for over a year. After that it has declined to around 900. Now there are about 1100 members after getting the new administrator.

I see part of the problem with the ABS (and chapters) is burnout. A person will take on jobs and own them for years and when they start to get tired of doing the jobs there is no one willing to help out or if there is the person with the job does not want to give it up.

Another problem that has plagued the board for the last couple of years has been the number of proposals that have moved into a legal discussion about if the board approved anything can they be sued by someone. Most of those proposals end up dying before a decision is made.

Bill

Legal disclaimer,
This was just a rant from the voices in my head and is not the view of anyone. :tongue2:
mantis

Post by mantis »

bambooweb wrote:
I guess that means you get another vote :wink:
Ok, I'll give it another go. :)
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

I have seen the name "KoiKeeper" before! I have found strange and obscure hints on the web of much bad blood between "koikeeper" and others, including someone named Hermine.

Can I get the "dirty" details? I can take it.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
needmore

Post by needmore »

My last communication with the 'keeper' was my threat to sue him if he continued in his attempt to sell the previous bambooweb photos and database - he was advertising it for sale for a spell after the final collapse. I can tell you some dirt one of these days Foxd.

Bill, I'm very curious about your remark regarding board decisions and lawsuits, and look forward to more insight. When I decided to consider running for the board I went over the bylaws to see what kind of shape they were in. I'm no attorney but I've been involved with multiple bylaw rewrites for non-profits, working with attorneys who specialize in that and I saw no serious problems with the ABS bylaws - I'll reread them. The only thing that struck me was some of the apparent 'power' of the President, seemed unusual to me. I had a long conversation with Phil Comer about your chapters bylaws Bill and those are in dire need of some serious rewriting! Maybe it is time to bite the bullet and purchase directors liability insurance, my current non-profit employer pays a pretty penny, around $5,000 per year in premiums but it allows the board to attract and retain qualified persons who would otherwise be wary. That would be a big hunk out of the annual budget I realize but perhaps that would give folks more confidence to take actions?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Roy

Post by Roy »

foxd wrote:I have seen the name "KoiKeeper" before! I have found strange and obscure hints on the web of much bad blood between "koikeeper" and others, including someone named Hermine.

Can I get the "dirty" details? I can take it.
Sometimes I need a good chuckle, so I look back over my emails between Koikeeper and myself. I really could throw some flames doing my younger period. I think he really was a true mental case and I use that in the kindest and most medical sense.
Roy Rogers
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1

Post by bambooweb »

Brad,
The ABS board got Directors and Officers Liability insurance in 2004. This year it cost $1700 which sounds like it is a good deal. I think the insurance has made the Board more aware of the liability of our actions.

Bill
CadyG
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

Post by CadyG »

The non-profit boards I've served on have all had insurance coverage that protected them in the event of lawsuits. I would be wary of serving on any board that is not covered.
Cady G.
"Killed two..." -- Seiji Miyaguchi/Kyuzo
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

Thanks for the info Bill, it gave some context to the bits of information I had. BTW, several years ago koikeeper had been very actively flaming people on various usenet gardening groups under the name Cereoid-UR12. And a quick bit of detective work seems to indicate koikeeper may have been using the name Cereus-Validus as recently as 2 years ago.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.