Could this be Ph. nuda?

Moderator: needmore

Mhairi

Could this be Ph. nuda?

Post by Mhairi »

Hello All, Is there a chance that this is Ph. Nuda ? The new growth is beautiful .I rescued roots from a ditch where they were replacing an old established Nursery with a walmart. I have grown it on for almost six years and it is now finally in the ground. Beautiful plant almost six feet tall , probably in pot too long . Thanks in advance for any advice. Mhairi
Attachments
IMG_2021.jpg
IMG_2021.jpg (17.52 KiB) Viewed 3145 times
IMG_2020 - Version 2.jpg
IMG_2020 - Version 2.jpg (31.27 KiB) Viewed 3146 times
pokenei
Location info: 0

Re: Could this be Ph. nuda?

Post by pokenei »

I think it's a Nigra because of the black culms.
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

I believe that you do indeed have phyllostachys nuda because there aren't that many bamboos that will only be 6ft after 6 years. It also has that wine staining of the new culms which is very common with nuda, and you also have the zigzag culms. It also seems like yours doesn't produce that many leaves just like my own nuda. My older culms are also yellowish, but not as much as yours.

Here's a picture of mine last week. The new shoots have now darkened up and look very similar to yours.
Mhairi

Post by Mhairi »

Just for clarification the dark culms in the photos are the new growth in the last two weeks.So I don't believe it's a ph. Nigra. I live on Vancouver island bc Canada probably zone 6.
Mhairi

Post by Mhairi »

Thanks for the info and picture .