The Byron ARS H2 Plot, Not Nuda, Not Propinqua, Now What?

Moderator: needmore

David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Re: Propinqua McClure and Propinqua 'Beijing' are the Same P

Post by David »

Colors in photographs can be tricky. Seeing the shoots side by side it's much easier to tell what the real color is. I'll have to look at iridescens again. The iridescens sheaths seem nuda like to me, but a redder color(there's that color thing again). I can definitely see the similarity of all these shoots. I'll take a walk in a little while and do some comparing.

I'd like to think about the Byron not nuda/ not propinqua also.
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

The Byron ARS H2 Plot, Not Nuda, Not Propinqua, Now What?

Post by needmore »

The Byron propinqua you gave me is not shooting yet, so I'll be curious to see what yours looks like.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
David
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Brad- I think I'll start a new thread for the Byron plant. I collected shoots from several plants last evening, and I'll post them this afternoon for comparison to your notso, and propinqua.

Here's a stand back view of the Byron plant. This is the first year it has come through the winter unscathed.
IMG_8006.JPG
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
David

Post by David »

Here are some shoots for comparison.

From the top: Byron unknown, Nuda, Iridescens, Propinqua 'Beijing', Glauca 'Yuhnzu, same, Flexuosa
IMG_8059.JPG
I wonder if my iridescens is nuda?
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
needmore

Post by needmore »

Wow, the Byron plant sure stands out. All of your shoots are a bit different in coloration than mine so that is likely a 'local' thing. The blade tips on your iridescens do look different from nuda, my iridescens by the pond is much redder, and my glauca Yunzhu shoots have no green, not really black, and more maroon. Even my Beijing is a bit different.

Wonder what the Byron is, maybe a praecox form?
David

Post by David »

Does praecox have really strong flexible wood? The Byron plant culms are exceptionally strong and seem to have more weight than usual. I had not noticed their strength because the only ones I had handled up to now had been winter killed, and were 1-2 years old. I started thinning out some of the 4-5yo culms this year and was surprised by their heft and flexibility. I was able to bend a 3/4" culm into a complete circle without damage. The lower portion of the culms have thicker walls than most, and I found it really hard to bend a 3/4" X 18" culm base by hand.

The form looks a lot like praecox (type), and the elongating culms look very similar except in color. It's not very hardy and has winter burned every year except this last winter despite being in a really protected location. Praecox type is in an exposed location and fairs better during the winter.

The Byron plant began shooting about two weeks after the praecox type plant.

I have a new appreciation for it due to its strong wood, and I've always been impressed by the beautiful shoots.

I'm 99% sure it's not nuda or propinqua, but it could be a form of praecox as you suggested.
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
David

Post by David »

I think the Byron mystery bamboo has finally given up its true identity.

Compare the following photos.
IMG_8074.JPG
IMG_8101.JPG
IMG_7782.JPG
IMG_7322.JPG
Anyone care to venture a guess?
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

Phyllostachys augusta?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
David

Post by David »

No, but good try. Think common European bamboo.
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
needmore

Post by needmore »

I wondered about that but doesn't it have large fimbriae?
David

Re: The Byron ARS H2 Plot, Not Nuda, Not Propinqua, Now What

Post by David »

Brad,
I thought so too, but here's what McClure wrote about the plant. "oral setae few but prominent when the auricles are present, otherwise lacking;" There were two plants of the same ID introduced to the US by McClure from The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, England under the nos 123432, and 75160. I have read that there are likely two clones, and this would seem to confirm that conjecture.

All,
If a few more brave souls want to venture a guess on the ID I'll wait until tomorrow to reveal my possible suspect. Come on, be brave like foxd.
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
needmore

Post by needmore »

Well I can sure see it, that is interesting. That is one that I've collected 3 times and did not think I had the real one yet due primarily to very poor hardiness. Slow growth as well, maybe the slowest Phy I have tried and last winter is the first time it did not topkill. I've killed it off in one spot and ignored the other, now maybe I'll baby this new one and see - how can it be so weak here and strong in Europe?
David

Post by David »

I checked both plants again today, and the shoots are identical. If the plant I purchased 7 years ago is correct then we can confirm the ID.
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

Are we talking about Viridiglaucescens?
David

Post by David »

Good job Jeff!! What tipped you off.
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b