Need Help Identifying Clumping Bamboo

Moderator: needmore

MichaelAllen
Location info: 0

Need Help Identifying Clumping Bamboo

Post by MichaelAllen »

Hello All,

We moved into our home last year and noticed that we have a small area (8 x 4) where beautiful clumping bamboo is growing. New culms have popped up in the last few weeks and a couple are already at 8-10ft. I’ve been trying to narrow down the species; however, as a newcomer to Bamboo I am having some trouble. Here is what I know:

1. It survives in Northern New Jersey where it gets colder than 20 F in the winter.
2. It looks like a clumper as it doesn’t seem to have sent out any runners either last spring or this spring.
3. It is in an area that gets around 4-6 hours of direct sun a day in the spring/summer (late morning to midday).
4. New culms went from unnoticeable to 8+ ft tall in 3 weeks. I’m not sure how tall they can get as it looks like the older ones were topped :-(

Now for some photos (sorry if there are too many):

I am in the process of planning a privacy screen against a side fence and really like the look, height and other characteristics of this bamboo. I would either try to purchase more or, better yet, attempt to transplant some of these to the new location about 100 ft away. Needless to say, any pointers would be great.

Thanks,

Michael
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Need Help Identifying Clumping Bamboo

Post by Alan_L »

That's not a clumping bamboo, it's a Phyllostachys... maybe aurea? Definitely a runner though, unless I'm totally clueless at IDing from photos.
MichaelAllen

Post by MichaelAllen »

Hello Alan,

Thanks for the quick reply.

If it were Phyllostachys Aureosulcata wouldn't it have a yellow stripe and/or some crooks at the base?

Thanks,

Michael
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

It's not aureosulcata. I thought it might be Phyllostachys aurea.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Totally agree, Phyllostachys aurea.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
MichaelAllen

Post by MichaelAllen »

Thanks Fellas! I really appreciate the super fast help on this (and must say that I am embarrassed that I was so wrong).

Now I need to see if it pays to attempt a transplant or if I should just go out and order some.
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

The rhizomes have probably spread further than you think. It may be worthwhile to probe around a little to see what you can find out, especially since you inherited this grove.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I have very similar bamboo. I also identified it as Phyllostachys aurea. If I'm mistaken, please let me know. :P

Fresh newly grown culm

Whole plant. There are new shoots emerging. I've received this bamboo two weeks ago. When I got it, it was dried up, at least a week out of the soil, it was in poor condition. Drought and lack of root mass made largest shoot to die off. The first few nodes seem to be alive with branches that will survive. It does look like P. aurea, nodes were deformed because of bad conditions it was eposed to.

And one photo from point of view I'd like to see this bamboo from. It may look tall to untrained eye, but it isn't. Perhaps 1.5m at the moment. :D
kudzu9
Location: Greater Seattle, WA, area; Zone 8. Summers:mainly 60's-70's. Winters are rainy, but above freezing except for a few 15 deg F days; 1-2 days of snow max.

Post by kudzu9 »

Michael-
Those compressed nodes at the base clinch the aurea ID. I have had many runners that behaved like clumpers for the first several years...but they were just gathering strength for a jail break. It's not uncommon to have a grove like that and find that there are undiscovered rhizomes radiating out 5' or more in all directions. Ph. aurea is very hardy and very "assertive." Don't bother to go to the trouble of buying more. You can easily take viable divisions and have more to go around. Now when I say easily, I don't mean that it won't be hard work...just that it's doable with a high success rate. I'd suggest you wait until next year in maybe March or April to take the divisions. If you need details on how to do this, send me an email and I'll send you back some step-by-step directions on taking divisions.
BlackThumbNJ

Post by BlackThumbNJ »

Michael,

Very beautiful plant.

I live close to your area.

Like most Ph. aurea can get out of control very quickly. If you are new to running bamboo, you may want to do a little research on this to know what you are getting into.

Goto
Busches Nursery
55 New Jersey 10, Whippany, NJ 07981
Ask them how they control the bamboo on their property.

Before transplanting, you may want to consider a strategy for keeping it in check. Maybe even putting in a rhizome barrier around where it is. Or, I know this is not what some on this site might want to read, dig it out, if constant monitoring and policing stray rhizomes is not in your plan. I think it looks great there, well worth the effort, just want you to know what you are getting into.
Any bamboo that survives my care is "Lucky Bamboo"

The green color of my "black" bamboo contrasts beautifully with the green color of my "red" japanese maple
BlackThumbNJ

Post by BlackThumbNJ »

Michael,

On second look.

This is in Bergen county NJ?

Would not expect aurea to survive outside there, I think it's 6a or 6b.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable about aurea hardiness can comment?

The green color of my "black" bamboo contrasts beautifully with the green color of my "red" japanese maple
moriphen
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

Post by moriphen »

He may be in a micro-climate or at the very least has some structure nearby to block the winds. Otherwise his P. Aurea would be showing damage form the prior winter.

M
M
BlackThumbNJ

Post by BlackThumbNJ »

He is right near me, it is zone 6a.

I guess anything is possible.

This is the first time I have heard of a bamboo thriving 2 zones below its hardiness rating.