How Does One Differentiate Between Tecta and Appalachiana

Moderator: needmore

David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

How Does One Differentiate Between Tecta and Appalachiana

Post by David »

Would some of you native bamboo experts help me distinguish between A. tecta, and A. appalachiana? The grove in question is in a wooded setting. Most of the plants are 2ft tall. Seems to be an open grove; you can walk between the plants. It is located in Manchester, TN near the steppes to the Cumberland Plateau. The owner recently dug a specimen for me. I'll take some pics when the weather improves.
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
bambookid524
Location info: 0

Re: How Does One Differentiate Between Tecta and Appalachiana

Post by bambookid524 »

Sounds like Appalachiana to me. From what i know, Appalachiana usally stays small, (around 1-3 feet), and that is usually when it is in a nice shaded, area in the woods, but when exposed to more sunlight, it grows taller. Tecta from what i understand is a little less spaced, and bigger.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Isn't one of them deciduous or is that just a particular trait of some of the A tecta I've met?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

I think it has many of those characteristics, but I was hoping there is physical difference between the two. Both Tecta and this unknown plant grow on the same farm, but in different locations. Interestingly I have not found Gigantea on that property.
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
bambookid524

Post by bambookid524 »

needmore wrote:Isn't one of them deciduous or is that just a particular trait of some of the A tecta I've met?
The Appalachiana is deciduous as well.