Gigantochloq 'Bali - White Stripe vs. Bambusa variostriata

Moderator: needmore

mr.mike
Location info: 0

Gigantochloq 'Bali - White Stripe vs. Bambusa variostriata

Post by mr.mike »

Does anyone out there in "you know more than I do about bamboo" land know if G. bali white stripe is really B. variostriata, aka D. variostriata? After comparing descriptions of the two species, they seem to me to be one in the same, however, I'm just a novice at identification of bamboo. (I have the Bali-White Stripe and it looks just like the variostriata in R. Saporito's bamboo list @ Tropical Bamboo.com).
Thanks.
Mike
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: Gigantochloq 'Bali - White Stripe vs. Bambusa variostria

Post by Roy »

mr.mike wrote:Does anyone out there in "you know more than I do about bamboo" land know if G. bali white stripe is really B. variostriata, aka D. variostriata? After comparing descriptions of the two species, they seem to me to be one in the same, however, I'm just a novice at identification of bamboo. (I have the Bali-White Stripe and it looks just like the variostriata in R. Saporito's bamboo list @ Tropical Bamboo.com).
Thanks.
Mike
Mike,

After doing some Internet searching, I would be somewhat reluctant to put anymore money into buying any more of the named varieties listed above. They possibly could be one plant with several names, especially when "newly introduced" is used on several web pages.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
mr.mike

RE: Gigantochloq 'Bali - White Stripe vs. Bambusa variostria

Post by mr.mike »

I believe that I'm going to have to agree w/ you Roy. These plants are, from what I can see, one in the same bamboo. New culm sheaths have the same striped appearance and the culms themselves have very faint, thin cream colored pin stripes on them both. I think I've doubled the quantity of "Bali-White Stripe" plants that I have! By the way Roy, this plant has leaves that have measured 19" long x 3" wide. Big leaves!
Thanks for your input, it really helps.
Mike
Roy

Re: RE: Gigantochloq 'Bali - White Stripe vs. Bambusa varios

Post by Roy »

mr.mike wrote:I believe that I'm going to have to agree w/ you Roy. These plants are, from what I can see, one in the same bamboo. New culm sheaths have the same striped appearance and the culms themselves have very faint, thin cream colored pin stripes on them both. I think I've doubled the quantity of "Bali-White Stripe" plants that I have! By the way Roy, this plant has leaves that have measured 19" long x 3" wide. Big leaves!
Thanks for your input, it really helps.
Mike
If you get some leaves that big and long, be sure and take some pictures to show to us.
Roy Rogers
mr.mike

Post by mr.mike »

The larger leaves seem to be on the younger culms. A few of the leaves hit the 19" mark on half inch to 3 qtr inch culms.. The rest are between 15" & 18". 2" - 3" wide. Not quite so big on the newer culms. Come spring, this baby's gonna make a lot of shade! It's only been in the ground about a year from a 2 gallon pot (Bamboo Plantation) but it's finally starting to take off. Last couple of shoots in the 11' tall range and still going w/ 1" culm dia. I will get a few pictures for you soon.
Mike
[/url][/list]
mr.mike

Post by mr.mike »

On the Bambooweb.info page, under pictures, click on plants and there's a month old photo of the Bali white stripe. I don't know how to get the pic to here!
I will take more detailed photos asap and post them soon.

Mike
Roy

Post by Roy »

mr.mike wrote:On the Bambooweb.info page, under pictures, click on plants and there's a month old photo of the Bali white stripe. I don't know how to get the pic to here!
I will take more detailed photos asap and post them soon.

Mike
Mike,

I took the liberty of resizing your picture: size and MB. I think some people would scream trying to load a 1.9 MB file.

The leaves definitely are nice looking.

Roy Rogers
mr.mike

Post by mr.mike »

Thanks for resizing that for me Roy. I'm working on fixing the photo size problem @ the source...the camera. When I get that solved I'll take pics of the 'Bali White Stripe' leaves and put them on the web for y'all.
Roy

Post by Roy »

mr.mike wrote:Thanks for resizing that for me Roy. I'm working on fixing the photo size problem @ the source...the camera. When I get that solved I'll take pics of the 'Bali White Stripe' leaves and put them on the web for y'all.
Mike,

I don't think that the camera needs fixing. It takes a nice 1.9 MB large picture. What I do is take the largest, most detailed picture I can and then use a graphics program to crop, re-size, and edit MB size for a web upload.

I used to use Adobe Photoshop, but that was like going bird hunting with a cannon. So I started using Adobe Photo Elements, which probably should be called something like Adobe Photoshop Lite.

I'm using a Sony DSC 707 5 megapixil camera. Now that Nikon has a digital SLR (D80 @ 10 megapixil)in my price range, I'll be going back to Nikon the next time I need to purchase a new digital camera.
Roy Rogers
litibu
Location: Higuera Blanca, Nayarit mexico - 30 miles N of Puerto Vallarta

RE: Gigantochlo 'Bali - White Stripe vs. Bambusa variostriat

Post by litibu »

I just posted 3 pics of shoots/culms of Gigantochloa Bali White Stripe which I purchased from Jim Bonner almost a year ago.

There is one pic of Bambusa variostriata already on Bambooweb. They appear to be different to me.

The culms of mine appear to be almost fuzzy - not smooth and shiny at all -- like variostriata appear to be in the photo.

Anyway, just thought some of you might be interested.
Roy

Re: RE: Gigantochlo 'Bali - White Stripe vs. Bambusa variost

Post by Roy »

litibu wrote:I just posted 3 pics of shoots/culms of Gigantochloa Bali White Stripe which I purchased from Jim Bonner almost a year ago.

There is one pic of Bambusa variostriata already on Bambooweb. They appear to be different to me.

The culms of mine appear to be almost fuzzy - not smooth and shiny at all -- like variostriata appear to be in the photo.

Anyway, just thought some of you might be interested.
Jeffrey.

Call me stupid, dense, whatever, but I don't quite understand what species you are trying to compare. Bambusa variostriata, Gigantochloa Bali White Stripe :?:
Roy Rogers
litibu

Post by litibu »

Ok Roy if you insist -- I'll call you stupid. Just kidding.

This thread was looking for confirmation that Bali White Stripe and variostriata were in fact different.

As the discussion progressed it appeared that there was some talk that they may be the same.

So i posted some photos of culms of Bali White Stripe on bambooweb from a plant I got from Jim Bonner, I noted that my photos appear to look different than the existing photo of variostriata that is on bambooweb.

Does that help?
Roy

Post by Roy »

litibu wrote:Ok Roy if you insist -- I'll call you stupid. Just kidding.

This thread was looking for confirmation that Bali White Stripe and variostriata were in fact different.

As the discussion progressed it appeared that there was some talk that they may be the same.

So i posted some photos of culms of Bali White Stripe on bambooweb from a plant I got from Jim Bonner, I noted that my photos appear to look different than the existing photo of variostriata that is on bambooweb.

Does that help?

You can definitely call me stupid!. Thinking that your reply was to another post similar to this one, I failed to look at the subject title.

In response, "No, stupid doesn't have information that can help you."
Roy Rogers
litibu

Post by litibu »

Oh I'm sure you have plenty of info that can help me. By the way I have an oldhamii story for you.

I got the world's smallest rooted culm online. I planted the poor sad thing. A couple days later it was gone with a small hole left behind.

A day or so later i found a nearby armadillo hole (about 12 feet away). Packed into the side of the whole was the sad oldhamii all dried up and well hopeless looking.

I recovered it and planted it back where it was before. Well the darn thing lived and just sent up a tiny new shoot!

I thought armadillos ate bugs -- this one seems to want to decorate with bamboo!

And a tough boo at that!

cheers