BAMBOOWEB.INFO
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:15 am 

I am trying to find bamboo seeds. I've found a dozen different types of bamboo seeds for sale on amazon for $1-$2 each. Has anyone tried growing bamboo from amazon seed before? The reviews on amazon are mostly bad and claim 0 or low germination rates, so I'm not sure if I should just buy 10 different packets of bamboo seeds from amazon and see if any grow because I haven't been able to find a good seller of bamboo seeds other than on amazon. Help is highly appreciated in locating quality bamboo seeds as I just can't seem to find any.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:34 pm 

I've not done it myself, but a few things I've read over the years: 1) what they advertise is not always what you get 2) germination is spotty at best 3) importing bamboo seeds from another country is illegal in the US.

I have grown some bamboo from seed before, and it will take several years before you have a satisfying plant. Much better to go with a division from an existing plant unless you want to wait 5+ years (It took my own plants 4 years from divisions to be something I was starting to be happy with).

Also, another Arizona bamboo grower has recently been posting that he's giving up on bamboo -- too difficult to grow in AZ. You may want to read that thread.