Bamboo in Fresno

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Gerryo619
Location info: 0

Bamboo in Fresno

Post by Gerryo619 »

My father-in-law has been very impressed with my bamboo (I am in San Diego) and he wants to plant some as a backdrop to his swimming pool. He lives in Fresno (which gets into the 100s in the summer) and the area gets direct sun. Which type of bamboo would work for this location? He really likes my giant timber but I told him that they struggle a bit in direct sun (from my own experience). He also really liked my Mexican Weeping. Hoping to get some feedback from anyone on which types would work for his application. Thanks in advance.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Bamboo in Fresno

Post by needmore »

He has options to choose from for what pleases his eyes. If he likes the exposed lower culms look then the Textilis forms are perfect, I think of Oldhamii as very attractive with a columnar form and lower foliage, it will get big fast but can look beat up in winter/early spring. The multiplex forms will be more like large shrubs. Ventricosa will become a really big shrub. The Mexican Weeping I've seen to me looks sloppy and I'm not yet a fan of it, I have seen a couple of nice groves but to me it still looks messy, I suspect it takes more maintenance to keep looking nice.

I would already have Textilis in the ground by my pool if this wasn't a rental.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Gerryo619

Post by Gerryo619 »

awesome! =) thanks for response
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

I second textilis t. Kanapaha , and multiplex cultivars or tuldoides
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
needmore

Post by needmore »

I planted 2 Bambusa ventricosa 'Kimmei' a few weeks back and they just keep shooting and upsizing, the cool nights have colored the shoots.
bvent1.JPG
bvent2.JPG
tomgun

Post by tomgun »

Hmmm. I'm next to Folsom in the blazing dry sun of summer. As long as it gets its water, my Giant Timber does very well, no problem. I have quite a few runners that do equally well: Meguro Chiku, Black, Glauca, Henon (seems to want to become the biggest), Castillon, Sweet Shoot (gets nicely fat very fast), Shimadake, Incense, and some more I can't think of right now. The only medium to large runner that has not been happy for quite a few years and I might take out is Decora.

I really liked the Mexican Weeping at Foothill College but decided not to bring it here because of the frost.

I think my temperatures are very close to Fresno's. FWIW. Good luck.
To locals: If there is something in the Trade column of my plant list you want a start for, I root-prune every so often to control the bamboo in my limited space. You are welcome to any starts for free, no trading. Let me know and come get it if it's available. Pick up only.
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

tomgun wrote:Hmmm. I'm next to Folsom in the blazing dry sun of summer. As long as it gets its water, my Giant Timber does very well, no problem. I have quite a few runners that do equally well: Meguro Chiku, Black, Glauca, Henon (seems to want to become the biggest), Castillon, Sweet Shoot (gets nicely fat very fast), Shimadake, Incense, and some more I can't think of right now. The only medium to large runner that has not been happy for quite a few years and I might take out is Decora.

I really liked the Mexican Weeping at Foothill College but decided not to bring it here because of the frost.

I think my temperatures are very close to Fresno's. FWIW. Good luck.
would you sell a division of shimadake
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
needmore

Post by needmore »

The ventricosa keeps shooting, right through the banana leaves.

vent3.JPG
vent leaf1.JPG
ventleaf.JPG
Gerryo619

Post by Gerryo619 »

needmore wrote:The ventricosa keeps shooting, right through the banana leaves.

vent3.JPG
vent leaf1.JPG
ventleaf.JPG
That's awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk