Neotropical Bamboo

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

ocimum_nate
Location info: 0
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Neotropical Bamboo

Post by ocimum_nate »

It has been a while since I have posted anything but I just wanted to share a few of the new bamboo species I have been working with as Horticulturist for the Aquarium in Utah.
Image Chusquea liebmanii
Image Chusquea pittieri
Image Raddia brasilensis I hope I can get some growth on this one
Image Cryptochloa sp I was able to get 3 seedlings of this one and they are already putting up new culms
Image Guadua aculeata I have actually had this plant for almost a year now and has been doing awesome
Image Lithacne pauciflora another herbaceous bamboo this is a very nice looking healthy plant.
Image Chusquea muelerii a beautiful vining bamboo I hope this one goes crazy and give the passion fruit vine some competition.
Image A view of the main walkway entering my jungle exhibit
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Neotropical Bamboo

Post by Cooper12 »

ocimum_nate wrote:It has been a while since I have posted anything but I just wanted to share a few of the new bamboo species I have been working with as Horticulturist for the Aquarium in Utah.
Image Chusquea liebmanii
Image Chusquea pittieri
Image Raddia brasilensis I hope I can get some growth on this one
Image Cryptochloa sp I was able to get 3 seedlings of this one and they are already putting up new culms
Image Guadua aculeata I have actually had this plant for almost a year now and has been doing awesome
Image Lithacne pauciflora another herbaceous bamboo this is a very nice looking healthy plant.
Image Chusquea muelerii a beautiful vining bamboo I hope this one goes crazy and give the passion fruit vine some competition.
Image A view of the main walkway entering my jungle exhibit
very nice exhibit
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
mountainbamboonut

Post by mountainbamboonut »

Wow, very cool Nate! Thanks for posting. I have always loved the state of Utah (a refreshing change from California.) I am curious, what regions are best there for growing bamboo. I was guessing maybe the southeast or Moab area? But then again water would be an issue there I guess? I'd be curious to hear from someone who knows the state much better than me.
ocimum_nate
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Post by ocimum_nate »

I have had great luck with a number of plants Fargesia and Phyllostachys species the best places are along the Wasatch Front anywhere Layton to Price I have seen some good looking plants although you have a much more limited selection to choose from.
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

great exhibit wish I could see it in person