Boo-Shoots for 2015

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

I_am_Ian
Location info: 0

Re: Boo-Shoots for 2015

Post by I_am_Ian »

I'm amazed by the growth of my Vivax. Less than a month ago there was one decent sized culm about 1.25"x15' and now there are many that will soon overtake it.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
T9D

Post by T9D »

That vivax is looking nice. You gotta get a whole lot more compost and mulch on the rest of that ground though.

I found a shoot on my Rubromarginata now too. Everything I own is so small it's not really interesting to post photos. When my Decora which is a little larger, really takes off in shooting and they are tall shoots, I'll post some photos of those though.
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

T9D wrote:One shoot of decora coming up.

Two more shoots of Shanghai 3. Man they are really fat for such a tiny plant.
I believe Shanghai 3 might be the fastest upsizing phyllostachys so don't be surprised to see near 1 inchers from a 2ft tall plant with a 1/8 inch culm especially when there is no winter damage. Each little leaf blade must absorb a lot. I might get 2 inchers on mine if it didn't get any damage.

It should be consistently above freezing in another 2 weeks so I expect shooting on the fargesias in about 2 weeks. Moso bicolor should start pushing in the first week of May while everything else should shoot no later than the 4th week of May seeing that we should start getting seasonable temperatures pretty soon.
I_am_Ian

Post by I_am_Ian »

T9D wrote:That vivax is looking nice. You gotta get a whole lot more compost and mulch on the rest of that ground though.

I found a shoot on my Rubromarginata now too. Everything I own is so small it's not really interesting to post photos. When my Decora which is a little larger, really takes off in shooting and they are tall shoots, I'll post some photos of those though.
Big or small we love 'em all. Every shoot deserves a picture no matter how tiny.
T9D

Post by T9D »

stevelau1911 wrote:
T9D wrote:One shoot of decora coming up.

Two more shoots of Shanghai 3. Man they are really fat for such a tiny plant.
I believe Shanghai 3 might be the fastest upsizing phyllostachys so don't be surprised to see near 1 inchers from a 2ft tall plant with a 1/8 inch culm especially when there is no winter damage. Each little leaf blade must absorb a lot. I might get 2 inchers on mine if it didn't get any damage.
That's crazy fast upsize. Making me wish I had kept a spot in the ground for it. I really need to find an area for my Shanghai 3. Such a great looking bamboo too.
T9D

Post by T9D »

Shanghai 3

I tried to take photos of the others but my camera is just horrid with focus. It catches everything except what I actually want to see. "you want this thing on the side?" No the thing in the middle... "you want this thing on the left?"....No the thing in the MIDDLE "You want this thing on top?" NO THE MIDDLE!!!

T9D

Post by T9D »

What the heck is going on with my Decora?? 3 shoots coming up blonde color. I've never seen anything like that before. There are shoots from the other plant about 10 feet away that is normal. But this one is doing strange things.

Lol a bullet casing next to it. Was digging around and found a whole stash in the ground.
philippe smets

Post by philippe smets »

Kikko has started shooting in ROme( Italy)

phil :wink:
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Lol a bullet casing next to it. Was digging around and found a whole stash in the ground.
Haha, literally it started shooting. The best one today, thanks. :mrgreen:
T9D

Post by T9D »

Got back from a trip to the city for the weekend and found a bunch more Decora shoots. That's about 10 shoots now for that one little plant. And look at the size of those compared to the old tiny looking culms. Going to be a good year.

T9D

Post by T9D »

Tarzanus wrote:
Haha, literally it started shooting. The best one today, thanks. :mrgreen:
I make sure to stay out of that part of the grove at night :mrgreen:
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

My decora is about the size your shoots are, but it seems to be struggling to get any bigger than that, maybe due to too much shade, or root competition from trees. It doesn't appear to have as much size potential as many of my other phyllostachys, but it does seem to produce lots of shoots each year.

It will the 7th season this year for this one, and it's not damaged much so it may pop the 1 inch mark if it finally decides to put on some more size.
T9D

Post by T9D »

That's to bad. Mine seems to really thrive on lots of sun and heat. And lots of water and urine for fertilizer. The more it gets the more it seems to reward. I keep thinking it's going to be to much of all that but it seems to always take more. Burning hot sun for months straight in summer, And I totally soak the ground every single day, and once a week fertilize with diluted urine. Plus it's on top of half compost pretty much. But I guess next year will be the year to see if it's heading toward really fat culms. I don't see why not though. To bad you can't get more sun on yours.
T9D

Post by T9D »

Decora updates. You can't see them all but sheesh there are a lot of culms coming up. I think about 15 now from one little plant. Don't even know how that is possible. That was the one where I was just dumping tons of diluted urine on before it started shooting. I wanted that one to grow more than the others since it was so small and I need it to grow into a better screen from the road. I'm thinking that helped!

T9D

Post by T9D »

Phyllostachys Parvifolia