Here's how to get rid of mildew on your yellow canes

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Arkansas
Location info: 0

Here's how to get rid of mildew on your yellow canes

Post by Arkansas »

Before and after pics of my Phyllostachys vivax aureocaulis. I put straight bleach in a windex bottle and spray the clean culm and then rinsed with water a few minutes later. 50/50 water/bleach works just as well. If you are going to do a bunch, you'll want a mask to keep from breathing the mist plus perhaps a different method to apply the cleaner other than misting. Years ago we used this on mildew on vinyl siding on houses - knocks it right off. Works great on bamboo too. Funny i never notice mildew on my green varieties of boo but the Phyllostachys vivax aureocaulis and Robert Young could sure use a cleaning now and then. Especially the ones alongside my driveway. If you devise a better way of applying, please share.
Attachments
002.JPG
001.JPG
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Here's how to get rid of mildew on your yellow canes

Post by Alan_L »

I'd be concerned about that strong bleach solution on the culms (not from experience, just because it's so caustic). Please let us know if there are any side effects visible after a few days or longer.

Looks great though!
bambambooboo

Post by bambambooboo »

I've no experience using bleach to clean plants but my first thought was "yikes!" I was going to suggest a baking powder scrub trying to think of something that would give some abrasion without scratching. But I've never done anything like that so I've no idea. On googling though, there might be something to using bleach, carefully, I presume. I just looked for a few minutes seeing pro and con. What I found that looks interesting is something called oxygen bleach which looks like is mostly sodium or salt, I guess. Maybe that's the loud commercial oxiclean? Not sure. Might be worth looking into.
"Without bamboo, the land dies." ~~saying
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

bambambooboo wrote: oxiclean?
What you mean is Sodium percarbonate and you get hydrogen peroxide as the active agent.
I've used it for sanitation in homebrewing before and if you get hold of a product without any perfuming additions the remnants are non-problematic.

If my memory serves correct vinegar can also be used for cleaning/fighting mold (i.e in your fridge).
I've noticed some build up on my Huangwenzhu so I might try vinegar in spring to see if it works.
Arkansas

Post by Arkansas »

8 days afterwards looks like this. Actually, would be wise to hose them off 15 - 30 mins after and you might wash more of it off. We rinsed after in the old days with siding. I didn't rise these. I've read that white vinegar works - haven't tested it. I also read that borax works, it did not work for me. I applied more yesterday to other plants. I think i could tell the off brand bleach worked less than name brand.
Attachments
003 (2).jpg