Phyllostachys Viridglaucescen Bamboo Growing Problems

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

pauljg
Location info: 0

Phyllostachys Viridglaucescen Bamboo Growing Problems

Post by pauljg »

Hi I planted 3 Phyllostachys viridglaucescens in August 2012 for a screen at the bottom of our garden. They were approximately 2ft in height when I planted them.

They seem to be growing at different speeds as the one on the left of the flower bed is doing quite well and is getting to about 6ft in height and has 5 new shoots coming through the ground already this spring.

The middle one is now about 4ft in height and the one on the right hand sizes hasn't really grown at all.

I have attached some photos, could it have something to do with weeping willow we have in front of the bamboo that is growing the best, maybe giving it some shade from the sun but I thought this type of bamboo liked the sun.

When I dug up the grass to make the flower bed there was a bit of rubble to get out, could it be that there is more under the bamboo

Any advise would be great as I am struggling to work out what is happening to the growth of these bamboo plants.

Thanks in advance

Paul
Attachments
46788.jpg
46788.jpg (23.32 KiB) Viewed 5689 times
oobmab

Re: Phyllostachys Viridglaucescen Bamboo Growing Problems

Post by oobmab »

Frustrating, I know. It is interesting that the heights decrease proportionally to the amount of shade. In which direction is the fence line? I have noticed that my boos in shade tend to put up taller growth. The shorter plant could actually be the more vigorous underground. You are only into your second year; the creeping year. Next year may surprise you.
dependable

Post by dependable »

Manchester UK, NH, CT ... ? could go on, just curious, and in some cases idea of location can help accuracy of answers.
T9D

Post by T9D »

I found this about this species:

"It is worth noting that this bamboo is not happy in poorly nourished soil conditions. However, a good mulch each year and the occasional feed should reward you well"

My guess is the soil is a little better where they grow better. Plus the grass is so close that it's likely taking what nutrients the bamboo needs. Possibly some of the grass get's more sun too in certain areas so it grows more and steals more nutrients. I'd tear out the grass and mulch and compost a lot farther out. A little fertilizer won't hurt either.
pauljg

Post by pauljg »

Hi thanks for the replies already, we are in Manchester England and the bamboo is south westerly facing
oobmab

Post by oobmab »

What is the fencing material?
moriphen
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

Post by moriphen »

At 53º N sunlight or a lack there of will be the greatest issue. Your plant is native to a climate with a much stronger sun angle so I'd expect "clumping bamboo" like behavior and a much slower overall growth rate. Your climate is much more suited to the Fargeisa, Borinda, Yushina, and Chusquea bamboo genus, they would all tolerate full sun at that latitude.
M
pauljg

Post by pauljg »

Thanks for the reply, so you would say the cover from the sun by the weeping willow is a significant effect on the difference in growth between the 3 bamboo plants
Markj

Post by Markj »

moriphen wrote:At 53º N sunlight or a lack there of will be the greatest issue. Your plant is native to a climate with a much stronger sun angle so I'd expect "clumping bamboo" like behavior and a much slower overall growth rate. Your climate is much more suited to the Fargeisa, Borinda, Yushina, and Chusquea bamboo genus, they would all tolerate full sun at that latitude.

Ok the Arctic circles not far away, but the plants here will still make a walk through the grove with culms 2/3 inches dia' and 30 foot tall, it just takes a little longer. :D

Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!