Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

wind-borne
Location info: 0

Re: Boo Shoots for 2014

Post by wind-borne »

dewdrops hanging out, hanging on new shoots

Crassinodus

following sold to me as 'Green Screen' but looks like Scabrida?

"memory is the future of the past"
bambambooboo

Post by bambambooboo »

wind-borne wrote:dewdrops hanging out, hanging on new shoots
I don't know for certain from just the pics but that might not be condensation but rather transpiration.

Walking past a clump of Teddy Bear in the garden, aka Dendrocalamus brandisii for the purists among you, I was looking for any new sprouts--the other clump of it having sprouted weeks ago already--when I noticed what I'd never seen before. And it helps answer a question I'd had in mind as to what happens to the interior of a clump as it matures and older culms die.

It grows right up through itself...

"Without bamboo, the land dies." ~~saying
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Friend's Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Aureocaulis' today. Last winter's cold & winds singed the leaves on the top 3+ ft of this one and about 20% of all western leaves. It was extremely slow re-leafing in June as spring was cold and June not much better. Worse April to today has been one of the driest stretches on record here, any fertilizer put down during that stretch never got into the ground. Then it got warm in July - nights +16-18c with days 24-27c (hot for here). Still Aureocaulis added another 2-3ft in height and put out the the largest culm yet at 1.5" in diameter. The humidity I guess saved the day or reserves from last year but it was dry in 2013 too.
Attachments
Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Aureocaulis' @ Cabot Place Halifax-20140905-03140.jpg
Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Aureocaulis' @ Cabot Place Halifax-20140905-03141.jpg
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
JWH

Post by JWH »

Chimonobambusa Szechuanensis 'Emei II' is putting up a large crop of fall shoots.