First timer starting a grove.

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

One-EyedWilly
Location info: 0

First timer starting a grove.

Post by One-EyedWilly »

Hello forum. This will be my first time growing bamboo, and I was hoping to get some suggestions on this bed I'm digging. I will be using that same sheet metal for the outer barrier as well. Two sheets thick, one to one and a half feet deep, with stakes. The sheet metal does have maybe four screw holes per piece, but if I offset the pieces, I don't think I'll have a problem with stray rhizomes.
The soil will come up maybe a foot or so on those sheets in the pic. The concrete wall behind them is roughly six inches thick, and goes down maybe seven feet. I plan on growing Arundinaria Gigantea in zone 7. They might get 5 maybe 6 hours of direct sunlight. That is a gas line to the right, probably a foot and a half away. Also, there will be cable and phone lines in there somewhere too. I almost cut one of those today with the shovel.

1.Is this safe?
2.How tall will they get?
3.Do I need some rocks or sand in the bottom?

Thanks,
John
Attachments
BambooBed.jpg
The power lines are roughly 20 to 25 feet up.
The power lines are roughly 20 to 25 feet up.
Last edited by One-EyedWilly on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
dependable

Re: First timer starting a grove.

Post by dependable »

Good to measure to make a utilities map, as things in the land will change and memory fades. Triangulate off semi-permanent object such as building. I always use marker tape over utilities as well. A little warning before the damage is done.

I think the concrete will have you covered on one side.

SA Gigantica can get up to 16 ft under ideal conditions, so I have read.Zone 7 may be a little cold for it, so it may not do that well. Do not have any myself, so you might want to check that.

If you don't put your shovel though gas line, it is probably safe. No need for rocks, they will just make it hard to dig later should you need to. You would only need some sand if there is a drainage problem.
Last edited by dependable on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dependable

Post by dependable »

Updated post since you posted another picture. The metal barrier will have you covered for a while. 2 ft is probably the minimum depth of effective boo barrier. The trench is on the narrow side for the plants to thrive. What are you filling the trench with, soil wise?
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

The goal is to create a raised bed, right? Is that to contain the spread of the rhizomes? If so, it won't work. The rhizomes will spread down into the soil and into the surrounding area. With the utility lines right there you're going to have a tough time rhizome pruning too.

I've seen A. gigantea here in z6 that was at least 10' tall, so I'd think you'd have better results in z7.
moriphen
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

Post by moriphen »

I would not plant anything at all in a space so small and congested with utility lines. In addition your choice of barrier material will not work for bamboo you need a 40 or 60 mil high density polyurethane barrier that goes in a 22-24 inch trench with bottom curled away from the utility lines.
Last edited by moriphen on Mon May 07, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M
One-EyedWilly

Post by One-EyedWilly »

I just tilled in some sand, organic humus and manure, and some of the old soil. I'll probably get some more of the same, and then as I till my way towards the camera, pull that soil down, add some topsoil, and some compost. Yeah, My metal is actually low. I could easily bring the level up six inches. Maybe with more metal? Some plastic sheeting. This isn't starting to look good.

I didn't put the bed to the right because of the lay of the land. that yellow stripe is a gas line running to the right. On one side is sort of a drainage way through the yard (which was one reason why I want to plant it), but it also starts my neighbors yard. On the other side of the line, towards me there is less sun.
One-EyedWilly

Post by One-EyedWilly »

Yeah, it's definitely not 22" x 24".
Is there any variety that is suitable for my situation?
I would like to be able to use the bamboo for practical purposes other than a screen;
building materials, maybe use the fibers, eat it, I don't know.
dependable

Post by dependable »

P nuda is good stake material, p dulcis is supposed to be tastyest shoots. Maybe barrier off a larger section, just remember not to dig around gas installation. I have P A Spectabilis growing around my propane tank & with my gas line.

If this isn't suitable, then row of Fargesia robusta would make a good screen. Then you would not need to put in a barrier at all. I bought some commercially called F robusta Green Screen that grew pretty fast for a clumping bamboo.

This picture is "green screen".
Attachments
IMG_0001_2.jpg
IMG_0001_2.jpg (66.79 KiB) Viewed 5881 times
One-EyedWilly

Post by One-EyedWilly »

Thank you for your responses.
I believe I'm gonna go with a clumping bamboo.
That seems like the best way to go.
And, if I need to, I can cover the bed in the winter.
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Where in Tennessee are you? If you're in zone 6, don't bother with robusta -- it's not cold-hardy enough.
One-EyedWilly

Post by One-EyedWilly »

Yeah, I'm in zone 7, but we're right on the cusp.
In the past, we've had a dozen or so negative temperature day winters.
Not this year of course. We haven't been below the low twenties, and that was maybe twice.
sully0family

Post by sully0family »

1IW. I would think that in the state and zone that your in you would have a vast amount of plants to choose from. Take your time to find the right plant.
canadianplant

Post by canadianplant »

Arundinaria Giganta is the only species of bamboo native to the US (there are 2 or 3 kinds). IT used to grow from florida west to mississippi, and north all the way to ohio. They can reportidly take down to - 20Cs, without damage, unprotected from the information i have found on it (I actually want a specimin if it, but up here in canada its IMPOSSIBLE to find one!).

IF you cant find one ( IIR, its hard even down there to find A Giganta), go with Phyllostachys. SOmeone suggested P Nuda, which is really hardy and can get large. Maybe think of a "spectabilis"? Im sure someone around there wil have a yellow grove ( P Areosulcata) down there and is willing to give you a division. You literally have dozens of bamboo types to plant if your willing.

Fargesia is a bit tricky in the south east. They dont like heat, and hate hot sun even more. THere are a few types out now (robusta and scabrida), that are said to liek full sun, but still arent reccomended in the south east. If you decide to plant some Fargesia, give it deep dappled shade (say, under some pines, a large canopy tree, or the north side of your house), and make sure it stays watered. I believe one Fargesia that is suggested for your area is F Denudata, but still would need shade down there for the majority of the day.
One-EyedWilly

Post by One-EyedWilly »

Hey everyone,

Just a little update. Thank you all for your responses.
I have been held up by a tree stump as far as the digging
process goes. In the mean time, I have purchased a two
gallon pot of Bambusa Multiplex, and divided it into four clumps. (I also topped some.)
The three pots to the left were transplanted from a nearby local creek. I'm guessing they are Arundinaria. There was some type of plant that sprouted through the middle
of one of them.

I will also be ordering one pot of Multiplex 'Green Stripe', and one pot of Fargesia robusta.
I will be planting the Fargesia at another person's home as well, and both locations don't receive more than six hours of sunlight a day. They will also be watered handsomely and mulched with the leaves of a thousand trees. . . .
Attachments
One will become four.
One will become four.
I have since, drilled some holes in the pots.
I have since, drilled some holes in the pots.
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

I don't think Bambusas are hardy in zone 7, are they?