need opinions on mixed grove

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

roscoe
Location info: 74

need opinions on mixed grove

Post by roscoe »

Ive got a small grove (20'x20') of nigra and alata. Im thinking of trying to completely get rid of the alata. Is continually cutting down the alata culms on a yearly basis my only option. I now regret having mixed the two together, but to late now, live and learn I guess. You can get a better idea of the size of the grove in the background of the first pic.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: need opinions on mixed grove

Post by Alan_L »

I've never had to deal with this situation, but it seems like:

1) Remove all existing 'Alata' culms now
2) In the spring remove all 'Alata' shoots when they appear. Maybe wait until they're taller but not branched out to sap more energy from the plant.
3) repeat whenever new shoots appear. Don't let it leaf out.
tomgun
Location info: 0

Post by tomgun »

Cut the Alata and pour roundup in the culms. I'd think it would only follow its own rhizomes and roots. Roundup does not travel out of a root into the ground . . . . . . . . . . right?

But you try it and let us know. Thanks.

I'm going to mix groves for space sake, bamboo easily distinguished by color or shoot. Let's see if I regret it.
To locals: If there is something in the Trade column of my plant list you want a start for, I root-prune every so often to control the bamboo in my limited space. You are welcome to any starts for free, no trading. Let me know and come get it if it's available. Pick up only.
gunner

Post by gunner »

supposedly if you treat a tree/ plant the roots of an adjacent plant can be affected and that is in non similar species. seeing how round up or (glyphosate) works by killing the roots id be worried about that one.
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

I've also heard that Roundup may transmigrate (I think that's the term). I'd avoid it!
roscoe

Post by roscoe »

Thanks everyone. I think I'll avoid the herbicide and just cut the culms down repeatedly. May take several times, but not
much else I can do.
tomgun

Post by tomgun »

That will work, and give you enjoyable time out in your grove. I understand the nervousness about Roundup.

Googling around, though, I found no indication that Roundup will transmigrate or get into the ground. The sites specifically say it won't. My own anecdotal experience seems to show it won't either.

My sister had uncontrolled bamboo come up in her yard. The owner was not interested in stopping it. After a couple of years when I found out my thin aluminum sheeting does not make a good barrier, we put roundup in the chopped culms. That worked, they died, and it seemed to kill the rhizome back to the grove. It did not kill the grove or hardly even dent it. I had the feeling that it pretty much just killed that specific rhizome. This was in one planting, one species. If there were two plants that did not share the same roots, I don't see how it would kill the non-treated plant. Roundup does not leach from the cells of the root into the ground.

I did the same thing to my lawn on a smaller scale. There were specific broadleaf weeds I wanted to get rid of. I took a small brush and put Roundup on the weed leaves. Those weeds died, not the lawn around it except for where I was sloppy, missed, and dripped on the lawn.

Good luck in your project. It will work one way or 'nother.
To locals: If there is something in the Trade column of my plant list you want a start for, I root-prune every so often to control the bamboo in my limited space. You are welcome to any starts for free, no trading. Let me know and come get it if it's available. Pick up only.
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

tomgun wrote:Googling around, though, I found no indication that Roundup will transmigrate or get into the ground. The sites specifically say it won't...
Like everything else, the Pro-Roundup pages will promote the research that shows it doesn't get into the ground or other plants, while the anti-Roundup pages promote the research that says the opposite.

I think it's apparent that it doesn't kill nearby plants, but there may be some research to indicate that it weakens them. I've never hesitated to use Roundup once in a while when needed, but I'd prefer not to use it.
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

roscoe: I notice the picture you posted that a number of the culms are very black near the ground. Are these the nigra? How do you water your grove?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
roscoe

Post by roscoe »

Foxd, I have to confess that Im not 100% positive of the cultivar. The pot was labled "black bamboo" when
I got it. Guess I just assumed. Do you see otherwise? But yes the culms with the black near the base are the keepers.

As for watering, twice this year, and that was just because the hose was handy at the time.

Heres a little before and after. Planted in fall of 2008. "Black" on the left and the other two are alata. Last two
pics are after the big whack. Looks much better in my opinion.

tomgun

Post by tomgun »

Much better. I'm a big believer in thinning and limbing up once the bamboo are doing well and up in size. It makes the bamboo more bambooie.
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

roscoe: The reason I was asking is that the culms near the ground have turned black much quicker than the rest of the plant, so whatever causes black bamboo to turn black must be occuring near the ground around your bamboo. So can you tell us about what all the black bamboo experiences over the year. How much rain, fertilizer, sun, etc.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
roscoe

Post by roscoe »

Heres a quick breakdown for you.

Annual rain: 56" avg. Heavy downpours in spring. Short t-storms in summer. Fall is usually dry. Winters get light rain on and off.
Annual snowfall: 0-1"

Summer highs: 95+ avg. Lows in the 70's

Winter highs: 40-70 Lows: low teens-40's. Winters are really variable down here.

Nothing special about the soil, just average clay/loam. I never fertilize. The only thing I've ever added was some grass clippings and leaves, but that was quite a while back.

Planted in full sun.

I've basically neglected it, but then again it never really showed any signs of ever needing me in order for it to
do its thing. I like those kind of plants. Put em in the ground and let em go. :D
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Dan -- are you thinking that those culms have blackened quickly, or that they should have been blacker than that already? (or neither)
roscoe

Post by roscoe »

Here are some better pics.