Phyllostachys Vivax f. aureocaulis...

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Markj
Location info: 0

Phyllostachys Vivax f. aureocaulis...

Post by Markj »

Considering that this mutation hasn't been around that long( first found in Sichuan, China c>1980) and the time taken to arive here, 1995/96 I'm just wondering what sort of size it's achieved in the States. Here's it's still sizing up- :roll: , there's a few 2"/2.5" culmed plants but none more.

Anyone growing this to a good size 8)
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
BooKing

RE: Phyllostachys Vivax f. aureocaulis...

Post by BooKing »

There is a fellow bamboo'er near me who has some pretty goodsized vivax aureocaulis. His is over or around 2 1/2inch diameter culms. I plan on making a trip there not too far from now and will get some photos and measurements now that I have one of those caliper tools...I have 3 different plantings of this and hope to have 1 1/4inch culms this spring judging by some early shoots. 2 of my plants I got from his grove last year.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

BooKing - was your experience like mine in that until I bought calipers I was seriously overestimating culm diameter? The 1 inchers I estimated ended up only a bit over a half inch! I now think of a legit 1 inch culm as an nice size here in the cold zone, and 1.5 to 2 is fine by me if thats the best I get.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

You are 100% right Brad. I was amazed. :shock: It's like in fishing, where you say you got a 7lb. Bass finding out it only weighed 4 lbs. :oops:
Cactus Joe

Post by Cactus Joe »

Don't need a caliper. Measure the circumference, divide that by 3 (3.14 to be exact). Based on this method of estimation, the culms on my 2 year old P vivax 'Aureocaulis' are 1 1/4 inches. The ones on the parent plant where this one was dug out from are at least twice the diameter - easily 2-3 inches. But, then, it does not look like a full mature clump - yet.