Winterizing Boo

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Chris_in_Central_PA
Location info: 0
Location: Dead smack in the middle of PA. About 10 miles outside State College.

Winterizing Boo

Post by Chris_in_Central_PA »

Well, as much as I hate to think about it, winter is again just around the corner. I have a, planted 4 months ago, in ground robert young that I'd like to help through the winter. It's 5' tall or so and bushy. Maybe 10 or 15 clums all out of a 1' diameter circle.

In addition to a heavy mulching I was thinking of wrapping the plant in burlap. Anyone had luck with that or a similar method?

A few of this years plantings that stayed smaller I'll bend over and bury, but this one has the ridgidity and size that would work with a wrapping technique.

Thanks,
Chris
kstanwick
Location: Stillwater NJ z6a Sussex county. 20 minutes from the Del. Water Gap.

winterizing

Post by kstanwick »

Chris, my guess is that anything is better than nothing. I remember people also mentioning about a dormant spray. apparantly, winter wind and sun and temp of course is the culprit. a five ft. plant would be fairly easy to wrap....
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

brrrrrrrrrr

Post by needmore »

Chris, if you try wrapping it, I'd suggest that you be prepared to wrap and then unwrap after the severe cold has passed. I would not leave it wrapped all of the time. Keep in mind that sunlight during temps below 32F can do severe damage if the ground is frozen solid so leave it wrapped until temps climb above 32.

Our winters often have periods where the high will not exceed 32F for several days at a time. Even if the lows are in the teens or so, I'd wrap it under these conditions.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com