Moso "Anderson Clone" In Cincinnati, Ohio???

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

JakeK
Location info: 0

Moso "Anderson Clone" In Cincinnati, Ohio???

Post by JakeK »

Ok,

I have been going back and forth this winter trying to decide if I should plant a division of the Anderson Clone this Spring.

I know Jerry Burton up in Morrow Ohio (almost 2.5 hours round-trip from me) has Moso growing there, but it struggles. I believe his is not the Anderson Clone.

Cincinnati's climate is uniform throughout the entire area, but individual locations can vary in temperature, growing season and rainfall substantially over a very short distance, in terms of elevation and mileage.

Here are temperature statistics for two locations showing the differences I am speaking about.
Lunken Airport - Temperature Lunken Airport ? Growing Season
Cincinnati Int?l Airport - Temperature Cincinnati Int?l Airport ? Growing Season

If the hyperlinks don't work (I cut and pasted the text from word) here is a direct link.
http://sisyphus.sws.uiuc.edu/climate_mi ... maries.htm#
Just search for Cincinnati in Ohio, and Covington in Kentucky.

The 70 year average annual minimum low temperature is 2F.

Two winters ago, the international airport recorded back-to-back nights with temperatures at ?12F and 13F, while the downtown area never fell below 2F. The rebound of the temperatures in the daytime was significantly different as well, but I can?t recall what the daytime highs were those days besides COLD.

Heck, Jeff Ruby?s Waterfront restaurant on a river barge docked in Covington, Kentucky has a Trachycarpus fortunei planted outside for at least the past 8 years that just won?t die.

So, do any of you have experience with the Anderson Clone in colder regions? Brad, do you have any growing at your place?
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

Jake, needmore Brad has a good writeup on this webpage 2nd article talking about moso... http://needmorebamboo.com/faqspage.html

8)
iandad

Post by iandad »

I would save your money and try to grow something more zone appropriate. If you can get it for free, then you should try it... I doubt it will do well in your part o' the world though.

We all have zone envy to some degree, I wish I could grow the stuff Roy does! (But I won't waste money on it...)
Zone Challenged...
CadyG
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

Post by CadyG »

I was talked out of buying moso from a person who sells it. He asked what the point would be if what I was jonesing for was the sheer size and glory of moso? There are lots of other Phyllostachys species that will do a more impressive job in our chilly zones.
Cady G.
"Killed two..." -- Seiji Miyaguchi/Kyuzo
JakeK

Post by JakeK »

Brad's write up on moso is very good. His climate is fairly similar to mine.

I probably won't end up buying any, but sometimes it seems so tempting especially since I can get vivax to grow fairly well here. Getting culms to survive the winter of 2004 is quite a feat in my opinion.

If I am able to purchase a house this spring I think I will get a moso division just to celebrate buying a house.
kstanwick
Location: Stillwater NJ z6a Sussex county. 20 minutes from the Del. Water Gap.

dulcis

Post by kstanwick »

Jake, Brad and i discussed this in some length regarding my area. We talked about climate...the whole shootin match.....His thoughts were for me to get a dulcis. the biggest i could find. Last year i spent my whole budget on a five gal dulcis. He tends to think it might be a bit hardier than expected and it will size up fast. I have two small Henons growing also. This is what i am doing. Brad seems to be the bomb when it comes to cold hardy boos....IF i could get my hands on a decent size division of the Anderson then sure i'll grow it..until it dies....lol....I just dont want to spend efforts on something that hasn 't much of a chance. Hope this helps in your dilema
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

Kurt,

I checked out the dulcis too but decided against it after visiting a bamboo farm 1 hr south of me. The nuda outperformed it in culm size and hardiness. Check out Little Acre Bamboo farm sometime and you can see what grows good and what doesn't here in Jersey.
kstanwick
Location: Stillwater NJ z6a Sussex county. 20 minutes from the Del. Water Gap.

little acre

Post by kstanwick »

pat i called them way back when when i first was interested in getting some bamboo. his prices were too much for my liking. an hour south of us is such a big difference as far as climate goes. even you that is east i'll bet is a 4 degree difference...jsut look at the diff. between your arrow shoots and mine from that arrow dig.....i got 3 ft shoots tops...you 6....You might be right about the nuda though....I'm curious about that 287 boo steve was talking about.....that might be nuda.
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden