Mercer Arboretum and Botanic Gardens March Mart

Post and Discuss bamboo events.

Moderator: needmore

Bamboo Outlaw
Location info: 0
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

RE: Mercer Arboretum and Botanic Gardens March Mart

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Mantis has it right. Mercer is a Harris County Precinct 4 park. We focus on education and FUN :P
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

Spent all day yesterday with Bamboo Outlaw doing more preparation for the sale. This sale is going to be HUGE!!! 30 different types totaling over 720 bamboos! 8)
Bamboo Outlaw
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

I just got in tonight from working up there all day with other volunteers. The whole place is looking great. There are many exciting plants offered in all the sections. The areas are filling up fast and I had time this eve to walk around some and see all the excitement.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Would love to see some photos when you get a chance.
mantis

Post by mantis »

Outlaw, I've quarantined myself... Both boys came down with pink eye, my wife and her father have a bad case of laryngitis. I'm the only healthy one of the bunch. Wouldn't that be great... work for months to help you get ready for the sale, and then get laryngitis for the actual sale. :shock:
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Re: RE: Mercer Arboretum and Botanic Gardens March Mart

Post by ghmerrill »

mantis wrote:Outlaw, I've quarantined myself... Both boys came down with pink eye, my wife and her father have a bad case of laryngitis. I'm the only healthy one of the bunch. Wouldn't that be great... work for months to help you get ready for the sale, and then get laryngitis for the actual sale. :shock:
Hey, since you are in quarentine... can I send you some kids? 3 of the 4 are puking sick right now......

ah, spring break.........
:?
Bamboo Outlaw

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Sun glasses and surgical mask required. WE NEED YOU :shock:
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
mantis

Post by mantis »

Bamboo Outlaw wrote:Sun glasses and surgical mask required. WE NEED YOU :shock:
You need me, or my loppers? :lol:
Bamboo Outlaw

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

You can leave them at the curb. I will call when I round the corner!

Mantis got some new clippers and we were trying them out while grooming plants for March Mart. I knew my old ones were worn out, but didn't realize how bad until I tried out a really great pair.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

so spill the beans guys- whats the brand? Ive been looking new loppers since I bent mine back into (roughly speaking) shape for the umpteenth time...
mantis

Post by mantis »

ghmerrill wrote:so spill the beans guys- whats the brand? Ive been looking new loppers since I bent mine back into (roughly speaking) shape for the umpteenth time...
They are Felco. I got the F-21 series. I had a couple coupons for Forestry Suppliers, so I got them for around $75.

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/produ ... sp?mi=1780

They make a F-22 that has a longer handle, but I couldn't find them for under $130.
mantis

Post by mantis »

Bamboo Outlaw wrote:I just got in tonight from working up there all day with other volunteers. The whole place is looking great. There are many exciting plants offered in all the sections. The areas are filling up fast and I had time this eve to walk around some and see all the excitement.
I'm so excited for the sale. I know they are predicting a 30% chance of rain for Friday, but it was supposed to rain all day yesterday, and it only rained for 5 minutes. I think we'll be ok. When we're up there tomorrow I have to scout out my game plan (hide plants in the bamboo booth :lol: )

My laundry list of plants is growing:

Texas Mountain Laurel
Chinese Parasol tree
Red Japanese Maple
Maybe some Alocasias
Agaves
Bromeliads
Palms
Tomatoes
Citrus
etc.

Pretty much every plant that they have for sale.
:D
Bamboo Outlaw

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

The event went very well. This is the big fund raiser for Mercer and a new record amount has been set. I am very proud of this park and the people who work and volunteer there.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
mantis

Post by mantis »

Bamboo Outlaw wrote:The event went very well. This is the big fund raiser for Mercer and a new record amount has been set. I am very proud of this park and the people who work and volunteer there.
I had a great time. That was the first March Mart that I've worked at, and it definitely won't be the last. Hopefully next year I won't have to sprint home every night right after the sale.

3 months until summer sale! 8)
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

mantis wrote:
They are Felco. I got the F-21 series. I had a couple coupons for Forestry Suppliers, so I got them for around $75.

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/produ ... sp?mi=1780

They make a F-22 that has a longer handle, but I couldn't find them for under $130.
I found a really good lopper... it is the Corona bypass "super duty" lopper Model SL6500.... They are huge. I saw them for over $125 at several locations... but later picked them up for around $50. I just don't remember where I bought them.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com