Rhizomes moving early--

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

fedora
Location info: 0

Rhizomes moving early--

Post by fedora »

I typically don't see my Vivax rhizomes starting to creep until August or Sept. But it has been unseasonable hot here early in July and I'm wondering if that has them faked out. But spreading out they are and more 100 degree weather on the way this week.

fedora
Tarzanus

Re: Rhizomes moving early--

Post by Tarzanus »

I've seen them more than 1 meter away this year, before the shoots fully leafed out. A lot of rain in the spring, followed by abundant amounts of sun and heat triggered rhizome growth on all Phyllostachys. The 'worst' is HBT 'Shiroshima', that put out almost nothing I could call a shoot, but in mid June, the darn thing already creeped all around the place with very thick rhizomes. I just pulled out a rhizome section with fully developed buds that already started growing. I'm not sure if it decided to shoot again or grow more rhizomes in all directions. Strange thing is, it was not old rhizome, its tip was still actively growing.
T9D

Post by T9D »

Hmm that's always normal for me. I already have rhizomes that are 5 feet or more. If you have enough sun, water and fertilizer the bamboos will leaf out fast and then send out rhizomes faster too. Then with enough of those things too if the rhizomes grow out fast enough you'll get another shooting in the season. Mine continue shooting all up until freezing in winter. If it's hot and sunny keep loading on the fertilizer and water and it'll just keep growing.
fedora

Post by fedora »

T9D wrote:Hmm that's always normal for me. I already have rhizomes that are 5 feet or more. If you have enough sun, water and fertilizer the bamboos will leaf out fast and then send out rhizomes faster too. Then with enough of those things too if the rhizomes grow out fast enough you'll get another shooting in the season. Mine continue shooting all up until freezing in winter. If it's hot and sunny keep loading on the fertilizer and water and it'll just keep growing.
Interesting. May I ask where you are in Oregon?

fedora
T9D

Post by T9D »

Hood River/ The Dalles area in the Columbia Gorge. We get ridiculous amounts of sun and heat over here.