Gigantochloa "verticillata" from seed

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Gigantochloa "verticillata" from seed

Post by boonut »

This is the latest picture of my Gigantochloa "verticillata" that was grown from seed. The parent plant came from Quail Botanical Gardens. I have been growing this for a while now. It grew in a 75 gallon container for about 4 years and then in 2010, I planted it in the ground. The largest culms are about 1.50 inches in diameter and about 12' tall culms. The culms are solid in most culms with about 25% with holes about 1/16" in diameter.

The culm that is almost white is the latest culm. The white culm is also fairly straight... where the others lean considerably. It sure would be nice to propagate that culm and maintain the characteristics. This one reminds me of another white culm bamboo I had several years ago... Guadua Aureocaulis. One too many freezes killed that one.

Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
Arachnotron
Location info: 0

Re: Gigantochloa "verticillata" from seed

Post by Arachnotron »

Very nice color. I saw this one at the Kew Botanical Gardens.

Tristan
Attachments
gvert_03.jpg
gvert_02.jpg
gvert_01.jpg