Fargesia Rufa by BambooSelect

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

bamboozal
Location info: 0

Fargesia Rufa by BambooSelect

Post by bamboozal »

Hi there,

I recently bought 5 Fargesia Rufa(s?) from BambooSelect and was wondering if anybody has experience with this TC Fargesia (i.e. grown it over several years).

I read the recent thread on TC bamboo with great interest, especially with the contribution by Susanne Lucas and am aware of the general negative attitude in Europe towards plants coming from Oprin Labs. But I would like to keep an open mind on this and would love to hear from anyone who may have anything interesting to share.

Thanks.
Bamboomoon

RE: Fargesia Rufa by BambooSelect

Post by Bamboomoon »

I bought a Thamnocalamus Crassinodus from BooShoot Gardens, and am watching with curiosity. I was told by a nurseryman that BooShoot is the competition for Bamboo Select. Bought on sale for about $27, I planted the Crassinodus in September of last year. I was interested in this clumper because it is said to have blue culms, most especially blue when the culms are new. The plant is too young yet to have blue in the culms, but there are 5 new shoots which are a little larger in diameter than last years growth. Like you, I watch with interest. Will this plant become a mature plant, as large as any grown by division? I wait with curiosity, fingers metaphorically crossed.
BambooMoon
zone 8b
Snohomish, Wa
CadyG
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

Post by CadyG »

I have several TC F. rufa, one going into its 3rd year in the garden, and the others going into their 2nd year in the garden. I don't know how old they were when I bought them, but they were about 2 feet high.

They are vigorous and full, but so far I haven't gotten a lot of shoots. The oldest one does have about 8 shoots this spring. It's not growing as quickly as I had hoped, but it's a nice 'boo in general.
Cady G.
"Killed two..." -- Seiji Miyaguchi/Kyuzo
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

I have a few too and have over 25 new shoots on each plant. Quite vigourous for 2 yr old :shock:
bamboozal

Post by bamboozal »

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Cadyg & BigBadBooKing: How tall and wide are they now? What are your experiences with the TC Rufa's hardiness?
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

Reached 0 degrees in the winter in full sun and no leaf burn. 2 1/2feet high by 2 feet wide.
Jonathan Poston
England

Post by Jonathan Poston »

I've grown these TC plants for a couple of years now. I bought two that were the equivalent of 25 cent plants 'cos they'd mistreated them. They are amazingly vigorous boos. The larger of the two was bought with a few culms which were about a foot high. Next year there were about 30 culms and likewise this year 40-50 culms. The other plant is doing admirably as well. The only other TC plant I have is Fargesia scabrida, this is similarly vigorous, moreso than a divided plant.
Regards
bamboozal

Post by bamboozal »

That is certainly heartening to hear. I bought my 60-80cm Rufa's from a DIY/garden centre because they were half of what they would cost from a bamboo nursery. I guess they're still "finding their feet" so to speak and I hope they'll show the kind of growth you have with yours Jonathan. Pity the weather isn't co-operating much here. (we had hail today...hail!! At the end of May!!)
Jonathan Poston
England

Post by Jonathan Poston »

Hi Bamboozal, don't worry, you're not alone this side of the pond. The weather here is terrible too. We had one good week in May but the rest is a write-off. It was just aobut the rainiest May since 1773 apparently. Yesterday even in the sunshine it felt like late March, early April. Everything in the garden is late, late, late.
Regards
Markj

Post by Markj »

Ground frost last night :evil: hopefully no damage.
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
bamboozal

Post by bamboozal »

It does look like summer has spurned Europe. The forecast for the next week does not make for pleasant reading, but I suppose we can take heart in that....when have weather forecasts ever been right? :)
That said, I'm biting my nails off watching my freshly sown lawn grow. Those heroic little blades of grass battling birds, cats, dogs and now frost!!
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

It's been near 90 F for the last few days.. 8) - The Fargesia Rufa is looking good.
kstanwick
Location: Stillwater NJ z6a Sussex county. 20 minutes from the Del. Water Gap.

Post by kstanwick »

way to rub it in Pat.....I feel bad for you guys over there....I felt that way in March/April....frost in may...yikes....King what do you expect the mature height to be with your Rufa??
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
Bamboomoon

Post by Bamboomoon »

Hey Jonathon; that year 1773 sounded familiar, so I Googled it, and that was the year of the Boston Tea Party. So I guess that history class wasn't totally wasted on me. Out of curiosity, I went to the Boo-Shoot Gardens site, which ratifies that Rufa "shoot production is truly prolific", and lists the average height at 8 feet. I also visited your home page, left a message, and was duly impressed with your garden. Way to go. Noticed that your Spectabilis (the same plant you have used with your forum posts?) has shoots that are extremely tight. My Spectabilis only gets early day sun which moves behind the house at about 2 o'clock. I'm guessing that's why the shoots are about 7 inches apart, in contrast to the plant in your picture. I'm guessing your plant gets all day sun ...
BambooMoon
zone 8b
Snohomish, Wa
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

Hopefully the Rufa will reach 6-8feet. Right now I got some new culms at 3ft. I didn't fertilize it last year or this year. I should experiment a little since I have 3 of them in different locations. One will get nothing, one will get some Lawn fertilizer, and the other will get good ol' cow manure.