Bamboo Research

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Bamboo Research

Post by boonut »

I met an individual at a local nursery that is starting his research on bamboo. He works for a local university. He has either lived near or done research for several botanical gardens including: the Bogor Botanical Garden of Indonesia, the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University, and the Jardin Botanical Clavijero of the Instituto de Ecologia in Xalapa, Veracruz. I think he teaches several classes including Plant Morphology, Ethnobotany and Plant Taxonomy.

He is just getting started with bamboo. He is really interested in taxonomy. Anyway, I gave him some links and names of others that have the same interest. I am also encouraging him to use the forums and bambooweb.info.

It's good to see this kind of research. If he joins, lets all give him a big welcome. His name is Arnold McDonald. I am doing what I can locally. He is supposed to come out for a tour next week. Bamboo taxonomy always makes for good conversation.

He and Harry Simmons are doing their part in the field of bamboo research. We can all assist with our "experience".
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com