Parvifolia and Kwangsiensis for everyone

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

litibu
Location info: 0
Location: Higuera Blanca, Nayarit mexico - 30 miles N of Puerto Vallarta

RE: Parvifolia and Kwangsiensis for everyone

Post by litibu »

ok i finally have to ask explain the obsession with Parvifolia??? what makes this boo so special - apart from its obscurity?? I've seen the pics and I didnt feel any sense of WOW?

Is it because of its cold hardiness or what?
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

It is expected to grow to a large size in colder areas than most other species, leading some to call it the "MOSO of the North"(TM). Whether it will actually attain these sizes is still to be seen.

But having a parvifolia is like having a dream. A hope of large bamboo groves reaching for the sky. Of MOSO like forests in areas that we had no hope of having until parvifolia came along. Of walking through these lush green forests on a brisk winter day. It is a dream that those in warmer climates may not understand, since bamboos there can easily grow to large size. But a dream that those of us in cold climates cherish and appreciate. Parvifolia is a symbol of hope to us here.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
JakeK

Post by JakeK »

Personally, I am more eagerly looking forward to getting a kwangsiensis sometime in the next 2 years than I am about parvifolia. The parvifolia might be hardier, but aesthetically, kwangsiensis seems to be more promising.

Any input from the few who have both?
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

I have seen a pretty nice size grove of the Kwangsiensis and it is unlike any Phyllostachys I have seen. You have to plant it near a path to truly appreciate the culms. Limbing up helps alot in this case.
As far as Parvifolia, the jury is still out. The HOPE is to have a giant size bamboo that is cold-hardy and stronger culms than vivax. Those in the warmer climates just don't understand. You have Dendrocalamus, Bambusa, and a whole lot of other bamboos that will size up nicely. Those of us that live in the cold -challenged North are putting are chips on the Parvifolia. Time will tell. Till then, there will be Parvifolia Hype.
Delbenes

Post by Delbenes »

Maybe it is hype. David Crompton, who claims he introduced Parvifolia to England in 1995, says it grows over 26 feet and 2 inches in diameter. Also that it has survived his region's low of -4 degrees F.
It's also interesting to note that Jos at Kimmei says he introduced Parvifolia to Europe in 1996. (What size of Parvifolia have list members seen?)
I don't care if it's rare or not, if it looks good, then try to cultivate and share it...probably the best plant on Earth for reducing the greenhouse effect. An increased variety of beautiful, quick biomass. Spread the wealth, bambuseros.
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

I like sharing also. There has to be a better way to share. I have been thinking about using my regular process for doing culm node cuttings and then shipping them out in small bags packed in a fairly small box to keep the costs down. I'll bet you could ship 3 - 5 cuttings in a small box packed in dirt for under $15 (2 day shipping).

If this works, and the end user is dedicated to taking care of them and knows what to do when they get them, I would share more often.

Why don't a few of us from different areas with the same kind of interested give this a try next spring? Clumper lovers can share... runner lovers can share.

This doesn't have to put a dent in vendor's wallets, it can help by getting the word out about bamboo and into areas where bamboo is not known yet.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
ocimum_nate
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Post by ocimum_nate »

Depending on the size of the division the Flat rate box
http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... &langId=-1
could be the way to go.
11" X 8.5" X 5.5" and only $8.10 for shipping.
ocimum_nate
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Post by ocimum_nate »

Depending on the size of the division the Flat rate box
http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... &langId=-1
could be the way to go.
11" X 8.5" X 5.5" and only $8.10 for shipping.
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Re: RE: Parvifolia and Kwangsiensis for everyone

Post by Thuja »

cadyg wrote:Imagine there's no 'boo hording
I wonder if you can?
No 'boo withheld from sharing
A bamboo brotherhood of Man.

Imagine all the bambooseros
livin' in their groves

Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah
You may say that I'm a dreamer
but I'm not the only one
Someday BooKing will share his parvifolia
Then the world's 'boo-deprived will live as one...

-- John Lennifolia
I hope that's included on the new Beatles album.
--Mike
Delbenes

Post by Delbenes »

That priority postal box is a good deal.

About sharing--Nuda, Spectablis, Bissetii, unidentified, and Rufa are growing in my yard. I root prune with a pickax, gently lift a rhizome tip back to the first connected culm and sever at the next culm, and curl the cutting up into a 3-5 gallon pot. I've given away seven divisions this year locally to friends, and could double that amount next year. All divisions except one have shot up secondary shoots. It's a lot of fun. Down the road I'd like to trade or accept donations for Parvifolia, Robusta and Scabrida. (The Scabrida would need to over winter for December, January and February on my enclosed zone 6 back porch :wink: ) I hope to have a full yard in three years, and give away about 30 or more divisions each season. Through word of mouth and work there are already 20 plant lovers asking for 2007 summer bamboo divisions, and all they have to provide is a bucket and some soil...

Here's some food for thought from Crompton's worthwhile book Ornamental Bamboos: "The activities of humans have greatly modified the geographical range of bamboos throughout the world. Cultivation for timber and food in tropical areas, combined with use as an ornamental plant in Europe and the United States, has considerably extended the boundaries of distribution. Unfortunately, the equation is more than balanced by the wholesale elimination of many natural stands through land clearance for agricultural use, particularly in South America. The canebrakes of the United States have been significantly diminished in this way, and much bamboo continues to be lost in the destruction of tropical rain forests worldwide." Can we tip the balance back?
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

Unfortunately, the equation is more than balanced by the wholesale elimination of many natural stands through land clearance for agricultural use, particularly in South America. The canebrakes of the United States have been significantly diminished in this way, and much bamboo continues to be lost in the destruction of tropical rain forests worldwide." Can we tip the balance back?
No, we can't tip the balance back. Human population is expanding, which means there will be less wild areas, not more. Considering how much land the canebrake stands covered at one time, we won't be able to plant enough bamboo to cover the loss. If I find a few species that don't die to the ground, you can be sure I'll be living in a 100 acre boo forest. I'll hit the creeks with bamboo plants, too. The streams look like crap in Iowa, corn fields are practically falling in the streams. :cry:
Bill Howard
Long-97.58W

Post by Bill Howard »

We need more Boo and less people
CadyG
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

Post by CadyG »

Think globally, act locally. I'm doing what I can. First step: fill my 60'X115' lot with A. gigantea.
Cady G.
"Killed two..." -- Seiji Miyaguchi/Kyuzo
Bill Howard
Long-97.58W

Post by Bill Howard »

I'm not advocating genocide ..... but all I have control of is my own place .... 16 kinds of bamboo 6 Tropical and the rest temperate.
serenityinbamboo

Post by serenityinbamboo »

I am doing what I can on both our home lot and our 5 acres!! I currently have 18 varieties, 10 clumpers and 8 runners. And the fun has only just begun :twisted: :wink: :!: