Bromeliad acting strangely...

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

mantis
Location info: 22

Bromeliad acting strangely...

Post by mantis »

I have a bunch of bromeliads. I've seen them flower, but this one is... different. About 2 weeks about the red started appearing on the leafs. And just today this fat trunk started growing out of the middle. This is not the normal flowering tendency of the plants. It is different from every other bromeliad I've ever seen flower. Just thought I'd share.

Bamboo Outlaw
Location info: 0
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Re: Bromeliad acting strangely...

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

That is a very nice flower indeed. I lost most all of my bromeliads this last winter but if I recognize this one it is rather hardy even outdoors this last winter.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
mantis

Post by mantis »

Full flower...

marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

hey Mike if it makes viable seed can I have a couple?
MarCat
Bamboo Outlaw
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

That is is very pretty bloom indeed. Marcat, I lost all my mini pineapples also if you still have some.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
marcat

Post by marcat »

Got a couple in the green house will save you one..move the real ones outside and up potted, hope they fruit soon it has been awhile since I had a plant ripend pinapple.
MarCat
mantis

Post by mantis »

marcat wrote:hey Mike if it makes viable seed can I have a couple?
MarCat
Do you want seeds, or do you want a division? It has pupped, and I need to cut off the new plant. I was going to just transplant it to another bed, but if you would like a start I can save it for you. If you just want seeds I'll collect them.
marcat

Post by marcat »

Divisions are allways better but either or...
Oh I got a new Peter Pepper that is a lot larger than any I have seen before fruit allmost 6". Going to Try some of the seeds tommorow to see if it breeds true. Ladys really like this plant makes them laugh heck of a conversation peice.
MarCat
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

Marcat, I would be interested in some of the Peter Pepper seeds if they breed true.

I have been growing Peter Pepper plants that produce the standard size fruit. However one of the seedlings this year just doesn't look right. No idea if it will produce fruit or even decide on a leaf shape. It may or may not be variegated.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
marcat

Post by marcat »

Be a couple months before I know...ever try to over winter your peppers? I do that with bell peppers and they tend to put on better fruit the second year. Short lived perrenials in the tropics they ussually go about three years.
MarCat
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

My 3 year old cayenne looks like it will have another banner year so perhaps longer than 3 years on some species. I trim it back quite a bit in spring, don't know if that helps or not.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Bamboo Outlaw

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Marcat, save me a seed or two. Next trip down plan on digging out that Sunburst.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
marcat

Post by marcat »

Steve I will Probably bring you a plant might have a baby Caryota maxima too. They are suppose to take our winters now our summers HMMMMM...
MarCat
Bamboo Outlaw

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Well if you come down before any tropical weather at least I won't be mowing the yard. Still at 8.2".
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
marcat

Post by marcat »

That is five more inches than here. But the NWS has a teaser out for next week...keeping my fingers crossed.
MarCat
Damn I hate Droughts