large-leaved bamboo companion plants

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

Alan_L
Location info: 81

large-leaved bamboo companion plants

Post by Alan_L »

I've always felt that large-leaved plants are needed in the garden to provide balance. Now that I have several different bamboos in my yard, I want to add even more of these large-leafed plants.

I've grown cardoon and castor bean for the last couple of years, and really like both of them, but want some more options this year. Thinking about Colocasia and/or Alocasia this year as I've never grown either, but wondering if the "generic" $5.99 tubers you see at Home Depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart, etc. are any good, or if the special cultivars (although quite expensive based on the sources I've seen) are better enough to justify the higher pricetag. Also, bigger tubers are better?

Any other plant suggestions? I've got mostly full-sun or partial shade beds. Keep in mind I'm zone 6. I also want results first year -- don't want to have to wait 3 years for it to size up.

Thanks!
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

RE: large-leaved bamboo companion plants

Post by needmore »

Alan, I've had great luck with those tubers and they provide the look you want in year one, mine even took a bit of frost last fall.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

You mean the bargain-priced tubers? If so, that's great! I usually can't resist picking up some "generic" plants from the large retailers in Feb/March. :)
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

I thought this site was interesting. I may have to try some this spring as well

http://www.stormwise.com/agx.htm

For BIG leaf plants, last fall I planted some cold hardy banana, and over the summer I planted a Gunnera, and another plant that is similar to it, with round leaves (cant remember the name) that get 3'. it will be interesting to see how they do. I was very impressed with the Gunnera that a friend has potted at her house. its only 3 years old, from a one gallon plant, and it is now HUGE.
needmore

Post by needmore »

I also have Petasites japonica, a large round-leafed, uber-hardy wildly running February sprouting bamboo companion plant. Don't know if you noticed mine by the pond, I believe there is a tame variegated form as well. It would really compliment your bush honeysuckle :wink:
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

and those bananas that you have the pics of on your website..... not a bad boo companion plant either!
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1

Post by bambooweb »

Rhubarb is a nice large leafed plant that I can grow and you can eat the stems which is a plus.

Bill
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Bill: Rhubarb! I think about planting it every year, but always forget about it, probably because I can't figure out a good place to put it. Not sure if the leaves are big enough though... :wink:

Based on your experience, how big does the plant get (width and height)? How many seasons does it take to reach a decent size? Does it look good the whole summer?
Alan_L

Re: RE: large-leaved bamboo companion plants

Post by Alan_L »

needmore wrote:I also have Petasites japonica, a large round-leafed, uber-hardy wildly running February sprouting bamboo companion plant.
Brad, I said *large* leaves

:shock: Ok, I guess that's large enough! Boggy, huh? Looks like I'll finally have a use for the plastic kiddie pool that I rescued from a neighbor's trash 5 years ago and has been taking up a lot of room in my garage all this time! :D

It would really compliment your bush honeysuckle :wink:
Sadly, the bush honeysuckle has been eradicated from my yard, although it's still in the strip of common ground behind my yard. I'm working on that, although technically it's the adjacent subdivision's land. I'm fighting grape and honeysuckle vines there too. I am not afraid of your puny Petasites japonica! :wink:
needmore

Post by needmore »

I don't think it prefers the boggy conditions, that just is where I stuck it. I originally planted it in a raised bed next to my deck and when I saw how large it was getting I moved it by the pond where it can have room to run. 3 years later it still comes up in the raised bed. The rhizomes are seriously brittle, it is hard to not break off a piece when transplanting and that is apparently all it needs to keep going.
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Well break a bunch off and send them along! :)

According to Mobot (Missouri Botanical Garden), it does prefer wet areas:

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plan ... ?code=A645

I find the Mobot site to be one of the most helpful when it comes to most plants, especially since they'll often include St. Louis area specific information ("usually grown as an annual in St. Louis", "spreads slowly in St. Louis hot summers", "may not be consistently cold-hard in St. Louis", etc.) and also lets you know if it's native to MO or not.

Tip: when Googling for plant information, just include "Mobot" in the search term -- it's easier than searching the Mobot site for a specific plant.
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1

Re: RE: large-leaved bamboo companion plants

Post by bambooweb »

Alan_L wrote:Bill: Rhubarb! I think about planting it every year, but always forget about it, probably because I can't figure out a good place to put it. Not sure if the leaves are big enough though... :wink:

Based on your experience, how big does the plant get (width and height)? How many seasons does it take to reach a decent size? Does it look good the whole summer?
My plants are about 3 feet tall by 5 feet wide and if I don't cut of the flower it is about 5 feet tall. It normally takes about 3 years to get that size if it came from a good sized division. After it flowers there is normally a decline in the plant but if it is in rich soil and is watered it will last all summer. My parent's plants are normally eaten by yellow jackets before the summer is over so they do not last as long as mine.

Bill
shuboo

Post by shuboo »

What about hostas? Check out the 'blue angel' They don't grow very well down here in Florida but zone 8 or less usually supports healthy growth. The 'blue angel' gets big blue/green leaves.
-shu
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

oddly enough, I was looking through an old catalog from a website that sells bizare edible plants, and I found them selling Petasites japonica. apparently the leaf stalks are edible?????

here is thier website

www.onegreenworld.com

I may have to try that one, just for another unusual vegetable for my wife to refuse to prepare! :lol:
needmore

Post by needmore »

I seem to recall that they are edible only when very freshly emerged, and toxic later on - I remember hoping that the deer would take a bite.