When do the pear trees begin blooming where you live?

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

JakeK
Location info: 0

When do the pear trees begin blooming where you live?

Post by JakeK »

Here in Cincinnati the pear trees are blooming when the aureosulcata really begins shooting, around the 20th of March. It is almost like clockwork every year.
It also seems every March around the 20th I am on my way to Atlanta and the pears are just finishing up blooming.
It also seems around the end of the first week in April I am near Cleveland Ohio and most times the pears aren't blooming yet. Tells you how big of an influence Lake Erie is.
(When I was in college, our spring break was the last full week in March and the first weekend in April I would always visit my friends in that wonderful city better known as the mistake on the lake by us cincituckians. That explains my habitual travels during the end of March).

This is an easy way to see how the seasons progress northwards or southwards and also to see the effects of large lakes or mountains on local climates.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

What kind of pears are you referring to. I would hazard to guess bradford, as they are overplanted throughout the cities. But anyways, where I live there is a bartlett pear that usually flowers every year. I thought I could estimate when it flowered last year, but my picture folder just listed photo was taken in march-april-may. So one of those months were lucky for the beauty I have seen.

2005 spring photo of bartlett pear with many flowers tranlated into the tree bearing 300+ lbs of pear fruit for us in the fall. So in conclusion, I was pretty much eating pears nonstop for two months straight until they spoiled.(10 a day, are you kidding me? No, I was hungry on those days.)
8)
JakeK

Post by JakeK »

Lance,
Sorry should have been more specific. The most common pear used in residential and commercial landscape is the Bradford. Nortorious for its weak wood, and true harbinger of Spring in this area. The Yoshino cherries are the best bloomers in my opinion though and start blooming just as the bradfords are fading so early April.
As of today, the buds on the bradfords downtown are about ready to burst open, but the upcoming cold front should postpone those for another 2 weeks. The maples should start flowering very soon as well.
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

I had a Bartlett Pear at my old house. I think it bloomed in late April. Star Magnolia blooms April 15 here. Apricots bloom about this time too.
--Mike
JakeK

RE: When do the pear trees begin blooming where you live?

Post by JakeK »

The Bradfords downtown are blooming now, but it will probably be another 3-5 days before the begin to bloom by me. My Korean Lilac is already beginning to leaf out too as is my Buckeye.
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

Pears are in bloom here this week.
--Mike
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

fruiting pears flowered end of April. Apples flowering beginning of May.

8)
CadyG
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

Post by CadyG »

Bartlett pears begin blooming in early to mid April, depending on whether they are in the Big City (Boston), which has higher ambient temps because of the buildings, subways, etc. or whether they are on a cooler suburban street.

We're on the ocean, so spring comes late here due to the cool ocean waters. On the plus side, autumn lingers longer and winter holds off, as the summer-warmed ocean moderates the air temperatures.
Cady G.
"Killed two..." -- Seiji Miyaguchi/Kyuzo