Poncirus trifoliata "Flying Dragon"

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Poncirus trifoliata "Flying Dragon"

Post by foxd »

Last night I discovered that one of the "Flying Dragon" seeds had at long last germinated!
:wav:

Perhaps the others will soon follow.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice
Location info: 0

RE: Poncirus trifoliata "Flying Dragon"

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

Interesting. Let us know if you get the contortion.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

welcome back hoe
_nc
foxd

Re: RE: Poncirus trifoliata "Flying Dragon"

Post by foxd »

Jeff: Boo Shroom wrote:Interesting. Let us know if you get the contortion.
Okay, but it will be a while, it still has to grow a bit. I understand the contortions vary from seedling to seedling. Now if the others will sprout....

Grow little orange tree!
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
foxd

Post by foxd »

Still holding at one seed having germinated. On the bright side, it has been growing.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

A couple of days ago I found a discussion of germinating "Flying Dragon" seed. Previous discussions I'd found had talked about the seeds needing to be cold stratified. However, in this discussion someone had actually compared cold stratified seed, dried seed and seed right out of the fruit. The result was that seed right out of the fruit had the best germination rate.

And still holding at one seedling. :?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

Continuing to hold at one seedling growing.

The one seedling is now 6 inches tall. I'm still not sure if it is going to be a "Flying Dragon" or not. Maybe.

According to a synopsis of a research paper I found, half the seeds should produce "Flying Dragon", so I have a 50/50 chance.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

svendrix
Location info: 25

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet
Constant winds (10-20 MPH)

Post by svendrix »

foxd,

I'm curious where you got your seeds? Just a fruit off a local shrub, or did you order them (just the regular varietal, Poncirus trifoliata, I take it with the 50/50 seed ratio of regular variety vs flying dragon?).

I finally took the time to go look them up, that is one wickedly cool defense barrier!!! :D

This pic showing little cuttings (some showing variegated leaves!) that are cool looking:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load ... 62.html?15

---Sven
foxd

Post by foxd »

svendrix,

The one I had germinate came from someone on Gardenweb who had a few to spare. I've also got some from Trade Winds Fruit.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

A second seed has germinated. Unfortunately, I don't know what it is yet. It could be Hardy Orange, it could be Passion Flower. I will know shortly once the leaves unfold.

The first seedling continues to grow.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

The second seedling is Passion Flower.

The Hardy Orange seedling is now almost 8 inches tall. Unfortunately, it doesn't look twisty enough to be a Flying Dragon. Hopefully some of the other seeds will eventually germinate.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

After three months of waiting, two more seeds have germinated!

:wav:

I'm not sure what finally triggered the germination. Perhaps the seeds could somehow sense all the rain we've had. :?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

My original Hardy Orange seedling can be seen to the left of the Melocanna baccifera in this photo.

Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

I never had success growing those. Had 5 in Spring '06, and after the winter, there were none in 2007. I've lost alot of exotic plants that just don't do it for this climate. :cry:
foxd

Post by foxd »

I'm going to let them size up a bit before I plant them outside. I am a bit more cautious after last year where I lost plants that are normally hardy in this zone due to the weird spring weather.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.