Goji Berries

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: RE: Goji Berries

Post by foxd »

svendrix wrote:Wow, I can't wait until my Goji's get going like yours! Do you expect berries this year foxd?

---Sven
I'm hoping for at least a few flowers and berries this year. I'm also interested to see if it develops thorns or not.

I've done some reading on them and some people now feel their hardiness is under rated. They have good reason to think they are a solid Zone 6.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
foxd

RE: Goji Berries

Post by foxd »

The Goji berries have been less than spectacular. The problem seems to come down to the fact that the leaves are edible and something is doing so. The smaller plant has had leaf stubs almost all growing season and the larger plant has managed to keep a few leaves on mostly bare stems. The plant I gave my neighbor is also getting eaten on. :evil:
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

I haven't figured this plant out, thinking it may not grow here under my conditions. I still have some seed from you that I should try and grow next year, so hopefully can give it one or couple more tries. There are a variety of interesting unique fruit that I wanted to grow, but some of them were not meant to be. On a positive note, my autumn olive cultivars are doing really well.
foxd

Post by foxd »

I've noticed that the listed hardiness changed drastically after I started mine. :evil:

But the main problem seems to be that the plant is edible and something keeps doing so. While this was a main selling point on the plant, it doesn't help that the plant keeps getting stripped of leaves.

I think one of the keys to getting this plant established is raising it until it is big enough that whatever eats the leaves cannot eat all of them. I have one that has reached this point and seems to be gaining ground(leaves).

Supposedly Gojiberry can be propagated from cuttings. Perhaps by then I will have this whole cutting thing figured out and can take really big cuttings of it.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

I made a new scan for information on Gojiberries on the web. Hardiness listings have now shifted back to cold temperatures. YAY! Chickens will strip young plants of leaves. But I suspect my main culprit is either a slug or snail. One of the recomendations is to spread charcoal around the plant to protect it from snails and slugs.

And so charcoal kiln experiment number two is raised on my priority list.

Perhaps I should start some more Gojiberry seedlings for next year. :?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

Ground charcoal has been sprinkled around the Gojiberry plants. But as I was heading out to do so I noticed some birds eyeing the plants and looking suspicious. Today I received an email warning that dirds will eat the leaves of a Gojiberry plant. :evil:

Tonight I begin the design of the Anti-Critter Cage Mark II. :shock:
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

Two Mark II Anti-Critter Cages are ready to be installed, probably this evening.

Gojiberry seedlings have begun to emerge in my starter pots.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

The Mark II Anti-Critter Cages:
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

is there a plant in there somewhere, or are you just showing off the anti-critter devices?
foxd

Re: RE: Goji Berries

Post by foxd »

ghmerrill wrote:is there a plant in there somewhere, or are you just showing off the anti-critter devices?
There is indeed a plant in there, but it was stripped of leaves. I am hoping the anti-critter devices stop this. It is probably too late for them to grow the leaves back this year. I hope they survive the winter. :(

I have started some seedlings inside and hope to have them sized up and ready by Spring.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

I was so into admiring the background, barely noticed the cages
svendrix
Location info: 25

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet
Constant winds (10-20 MPH)

Post by svendrix »

Having risen from the dead, I no longer like bamboo and will only respond to GojiPosts!

---svendrix
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

Will you respond to a post about a bamboo runner shooting up in the goji shrub?
svendrix
Location info: 25

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet
Constant winds (10-20 MPH)

Post by svendrix »

=D
Osi
Location info: 0

Post by Osi »

Goji berries support your healthy life. I have been for almost a year now and have been able to maintain my health without maintaining any kind of diet. I'm a huge fan of Goji berries.