Bamboo tools?

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Re: Bamboo tools?

Post by David »

Hello Kudzu. Thought about you the other day when I was examining the vivax black spot you gave me.

I have used the Bamboo Spade from MidAtlantic for many years. I traded with the Silverman's for the first one. It has dug/ cut 100's of root balls. It broke last year at the impact area, but I was able to weld it back and it's still digging. I sharpen mine so much that it's about to be too short to do the job. I have since bought 3 more bamboo spades. These are cutting devices, and not intended for prying. I use a long wrecking bar, and a King of spades for prying.
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
kudzu9
Location info: 0
Location: Greater Seattle, WA, area; Zone 8. Summers:mainly 60's-70's. Winters are rainy, but above freezing except for a few 15 deg F days; 1-2 days of snow max.

Post by kudzu9 »

David-
Good to hear from you. Sounds like you’ve put some miles on your shovel! I don’t sharpen mine because my soil is so full of rocks that the edge disappears quickly. So I need a little more brute force taking divisions.
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Yes, they all get considerable use. This area is booming with lots of new homes that need some privacy, so the market for screening bamboo is wide open. I don't dig much anymore. I just hire the work out now.
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
Eric

Post by Eric »

The discussion of breaking a King of Spades has me wondering if I need to be careful with mine. I only weigh about 145-150 lbs. I've pried on my shovel pretty hard, assuming I could pry as hard as I wanted without risking breaking it. Is that a safe enough assumption at my size?
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

I'm not sure that your size matter so much, I've broken one if not 2 of them and I have not broken them many many many times when prying hard enough that you'd think it might break. I've sort of developed a 'feel' for when I'm starting to pry too much and back off. I don't know how to describe it though, it might be a matter of me prying hard enough that I think the object should lift and if it has not then I stop.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
kudzu9
Location: Greater Seattle, WA, area; Zone 8. Summers:mainly 60's-70's. Winters are rainy, but above freezing except for a few 15 deg F days; 1-2 days of snow max.

Post by kudzu9 »

I tend to treat mine with respect, and have never broken it, but I believe it could break or at least get a bend in the blade. I'm 180 pounds, and apply a bit of force at times, but I've used all kinds of tools for decades and have a good sense of when to stop. I recommend that you do what I do: when I feel like I'm getting close to the point of applying too much force to my $200 bamboo spade, I substitute my $25 demolition bar and pry with that. Since the demo bar is basically a long, solid steel pole, it sometimes helps to have a rock handy to use as a fulcrum.
needmore

Post by needmore »

Gil, nice to hear from you! I brought my King of Spades to Hawai'i and my new damage trick is to have destroyed the tip out here. I have no soil, only solid lava with 2-3" of a mass of roots/rotted fern/lava granules, digging a hole with a shovel is impossible. Trees send LONG shallow roots all over the place but I've cleared out several trees and shrubs which will resprout unless I remove the stumps and since I can no longer dig a hole I've abused my King by chopping roots against lava until not the bevelled edge and tip is gone and my poor King looks much smaller now.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

I second the demo bar idea. It's all I ever pry with and has a very slight bend now. That just makes it better at prying when you turn it so the bend is up. :)

Brad, sounds like you need a nice big mattock!
needmore

Post by needmore »

Just got one but too late for the King. Alan did you wake up to frozen shoots today?
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Only Rufa was shooting, and they were only a couple inches tall -- they're fine!

Everything else still shows at least some green and leaf buds are expanding. 8)