Moderator: needmore

Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Three Village Garden Club Arboretum

Post by Iowaboo »

Via the gardenweb express pony gazette

Bamboo grove accessible Setauket, NY
Posted by macdaddyz6a NY (My Page) on Thu, Feb 9, 06 at 19:31
Just found a bamboo grove in Setauket that is open to the public. If you follow the link you will see two green spots in the upper left of the map. The one in the furthest corner is a large leafed lower growing bamboo like sasa. The green area just to the SSW with the shadows is yellow grove, and is of nice diameter.
The Bates sanctuary goes all the way south to the north tip of that pond. I took the walk around the west side of the pond to the north end. Turned left into the yard in front of the house and went on the right (east side) of the house heading north. Follow the path into the cedar grove and it comes out on the other side near the bamboo.

Three Village Garden Club Arboretum.
The Three Village Garden Club manages the 25 acres of the Sanctuary and Arboretum. This nature preserve is a protected habitat for wildlife and an area where native and near-native plants are maintained in a variety of environments. The Club's on-going activity is to create an outdoor living museum of natural beauty for the education and enjoyment for all. In this ambitious undertaking, we are hoping for continued and increased support and for a more widespread awareness of this jewel in our midst, Come spend time seeing our salt marsh and estuary, meadow, cedar grove, bamboo grove, vernal pond, Azalea-Rhododendron Walk and so much more.
Tours can be arranged by appointment: Call (516) 751-0560.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://maps.google.com/?t=h&ll=40.9469, ... utput=html

8)
BooKing
Location info: 0

Post by BooKing »

Yellow groove :!: Lance, All that info for ugh, yellow groove...Thought it might be some "good" stuff... :lol:
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

And don't forget
The one in the furthest corner is a large leafed lower growing bamboo like sasa

Actually, yellowgroove, even though common, is quite beautiful. One could actually consider it a cultivar of aureosulcata. 'alata' sounds and looks like the common species.

8)
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

Lance,

Unfortunately when you see all those bamboo pics by MarkJ,
yellow groove just doesn't do anymore. :wink:
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

Yes, its fun to see photos from bamboo collectors from around the world.
Of bamboo, one such as me, cannot grow in such a location I live.

8)
Steve in France

Yellowgroove

Post by Steve in France »

When you guys say yellowgroove do you mean Ph. Aureosulcata Spectabilis ? If so I like all the different Auroesulcata's as they are really easy to grow the colour is ok and they size up fast.As a Windbreak they will fill in an area fast, plus the red colour on new culms in the Sun is hard to beat.They run very fast so I need to install barriers around mine, but I would not replace them with a "Better" Bamboo. I like all my Bamboos, but I'm in love with my Shanghai 3 (Don't tell my Wife :lol: ) .
Later
Steve
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

Steve,

We'll tell unless we get a rhizome of Shanghai3... :wink:
Steve in France

Well I would but

Post by Steve in France »

Well you know I'd love to send all you guys one, but I'd hate to spread the moral decay. :D
There is hope for you guys if Brad's rhizomes make good, S3 grows really fast and is easy to propagate.
later
steve
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

Steve,
when we say YG we mean Ph. Aureosulcata, not spectabilis. If YG was spectabilis I would have gotten offers in the exchange area :( . In the U.S., YG is the Ph. Aurea of the north. I have yet to see a mature grove near my location other than Aureosulcata :shock: .
Rick
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

I've yet seen a mature grove of anything that one would consider bamboo in my region. If you consider corn as a psuedoboo, then I guess we have alot of groves around of it!

8)
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

You mean those weren't bamboo forests I got lost in when I was in Iowa.
Shoot.... :lol: