Climate theories, raves, facts and opinions

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

johnw
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Re: Climate theories, raves, facts and opinions

Post by johnw »

Well that should set intellect back a few millenia.............
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

More silliness!

Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

After record breaking drought a couple of years ago, we now have abundant amounts of rain. Summer came and gone, we've had rain most of the time, with at most 2 or 3 days of sun between. That's how our weather report looks like the whole year. I've never seen that many mosquitoes, grasshoppers never really got to their adult stage, there are slugs everywhere,...
rain.png
rain.png (9.33 KiB) Viewed 9324 times
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

A few weeks ago I saw that David Rose had published his yearly "The Arctic Sea Ice is Recovering" article. This year he mainly based it on a typographical error.

http://climatecrocks.com/2014/09/04/sil ... t-on-time/
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Mackel in DFW

Post by Mackel in DFW »

The wispy sounds of a well-tendered bamboo forest or the clamor of man, what'll it be, mr. d ?
Mackel in DFW

Post by Mackel in DFW »

Finally, we are under 90 for highs and it's time for tendering. I have a few rare trees I'd like to plant, and harvest some of our bamboo. It's a change in climate that makes all the other changes possible.
Last edited by Mackel in DFW on Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mackel in DFW

Post by Mackel in DFW »

Thank god.
Mackel in DFW

Post by Mackel in DFW »

I'm playing with a 90 degree range of temperature here and as far as bamboo is concerned, it appears very well adapted to changes in climate.
Mackel in DFW

Post by Mackel in DFW »

The science is over. Grow bamboo. Have a great weekend .

Mackel, from inside the Grove
dependable

Post by dependable »

It has been cold and dry here. No AC in windows this summer, very little rain, spring, summer & now fall. Frost advisory just north & inland of me tonight. Heard it snowed in the Dakotas already.

I normally have two guys mowing lawns 5 days a week. We are down to two days, irrigated lawns only, everything else is fully dormant or dead, crispy brown. The few streams around here are dry. Worried about water well, been getting more rust than usual(I have a 70' deep well with 6'' iron casing).

Seems like all the rain evaporates before it hits the coast or is diverted by high pressure centers where they normally are not. The tropical storms are being kept off shore so far (last year also). The climate does not seem normal here to me.

Anyone have predictions on this winter?
johnw

Post by johnw »

Spring from April till late June were cool and dry. The summer here has been warm and extremely dry but day temps never passed about 27c (81F) with nights 16-18c (the upper 60's). Our fogs and the humidity seem to have saved everything from incineration. We did get a couple of heavy downpours but most of that simply ran off as the soil was impervious. Frankly I have never seen it this dry ever.

Last night they predicted 100% probability of 30mm (more than an inch) of rain and we only got about 20mm.

National news told us this week that the Gulf of Maine (which our coldest winds must pass over) is heating up at a rate faster than 99% of all other bodies of water worldwide. With the powerful tides down there it's hard to say if winters will be milder, summers slightly warmer in our south or both, I'm hoping for the former. It could mean more snow in our south because those cold winds will keep coming towards the Gulf.

When the rains finally come young Japanese maples are bound to break dormancy and the first hard freeze is going to be messy with bark-split galore.

All I can say about the coming winter as it had better be a mild one, however cold winters usually come in pairs. What was odd about last year's cold was that usually we watch Mass. and if they get a cold winter we have a mild winter, then we get hammered the next year or got hammered the previous year. Last year though the cold wasn't record-breakering it was relentless in NS and Spring was darn short.
dependable

Post by dependable »

Sounds like you had a warmer summer than us here. It only got above 80 f a few times, and dipped regularly into high 50's f at night.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Despite all the rain, we are still in above average temperature range, which is unbelievable, because we've only had a couple of days above 30C this summer and the heat wave happened in June, before the summer kicked in with all the rain.

Hope the weather report is correct, because we should now see more than a week of dry weather. Some warmth would also be beneficial. :P
johnw

Post by johnw »

Once every 10 or more years we get snows like this. Last one was 2002 when we got 40" one day, that was almost the only snowfall that February, it lasted 4-5 weeks and went in less than a week.

This year is unusual as the cold has persisted since early February and we keep getting pummeled by storms every 4 days or so. Usually these storms change to rain or from rain to snow. Usually the early bulbs are in flower now. Last nigth we got 20" of snow.

#1 - sidewalk out front
#2 - the street
#3 - driveway - truck and car ahead of it
#4 - sidewalk

Officially there is no place now to throw the snow, these pix were taken before we all started shovelling out. The city says the street may not be plowed for 48 hrs., the sidewalks will not be plowed.

The Phyllos are not bent over here but where are the Fargesias?
Attachments
Halifax-20150318-04326.jpg
Halifax-20150318-04325.jpg
Halifax-20150318-04324.jpg
Halifax-20150318-04323.jpg
Rufledt

Post by Rufledt »

Yikes! :shock:

I though I had a bad winter!

I don't have any climate theories, but i'm guessing I'm going to end up with an all fargesia bamboo collection if these winters continue :( Even the small bit of aureosulcata that didn't fit under the tarp got totally scorched. The soil it's in never froze, it never dried out, it just got too cold and windy. It would've been pretty torched it it was uncovered... I guess the little bit of nitida that stuck out got burned, too... maybe i'll just end up with a garden of annuals and hostas :(