Peeing in the compost bin?

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

jpluddite
Location info: 0

Peeing in the compost bin?

Post by jpluddite »

Howdy folks.

Is peeing in the compost bin a good idea? I imagine it would add moisture and nitrogen, but it might also add salt.

Does anyone know if it's a good idea to pee in the compost bin?

[In case it's relevant, our compost bins cedar slated cubes, a litter taller than high or wide, that hold a bit over a cubic yard.]

Thanks,

jp
canadianplant

Re: Peeing in the compost bin?

Post by canadianplant »

Ive read the same thing. Apparently the massive amounts of nitrogen can be a good catalyst to get it going. It does seem a bit "back water" I guess. Heres a few links:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthn ... Trust.html

I think this will be an example of how this thread SHOULDNT turn out, but there is some good info on it.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/loa ... 51191.html
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

My Phyllostachys aurea gets fed with urine at least 2 or 3 times a week and the salt hasn't harmed it yet, so I think it's probably fine in your compost. I see recommendations to use high N fert as a compost activator and that stuff's salt would probably be equal to quite a bit of urine.
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
bamnoob

Post by bamnoob »

This is great! Now when I'm taking a leak behind the house, shed, or handy tree and the wife yells that we have indoor pumbing. I usually tell her I'm conserving water. Now I can tell her I'm composing. :lol: