Ground Cover Opinions

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

Bamboomoon
Location info: 0

Ground Cover Opinions

Post by Bamboomoon »

What are the advantages of using wood chip groundcover? Locally, our bamboo nursurys don't use it, but I see photos of it on the internet. Keeps the earth from becoming soggy in the winter? Just a visual preference? One grower told me too much wood in the soil robs bamboo of chlorophyll, so don't use it if you want your leaves to be an intense green. Don't know how true this is, but this person was having a "leach out" problem, which was solved when he removed the woodchip groundcover. Any thoughts?
BambooMoon
zone 8b
Snohomish, Wa
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

RE: Ground Cover Opinions

Post by David »

Bamboomoon,
Uncomposted wood mulches of all descriptions will leach nitrogen from the soil as they decompose and cause yellowing of plant foliage. I solve the problem by using composted mulches, or if unavailable I add a little extra nitrogen fertilizer in Feb and late May. I get free mulch from the county brush grinder, and get enough to let it compost for several months prior to use. I throw some nitrogen fertilizer on the pile, and when it quits heating it's ready to use. I use mulch mainly to conserve water during the summer months, and insulate the soil during the winter. Bamboo loves decomposed wood mulch, but so do voles, moles, and field mice, so I use just enough to get the job done. Don't want the voles to warm and comfy.
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
kstanwick
Location: Stillwater NJ z6a Sussex county. 20 minutes from the Del. Water Gap.

Post by kstanwick »

Interesting topic as i have one area of my Arrow heavily mulched with wood chips not mulch....I filled that area in with wood chips vs mulch because i didn't want to suffocate the root system. I wonder if i should back off a bit....I was hoping that the new rhizomes would spread into the wood chips as they decayed thus actually the whole plant "raise" itself to the level it needs. a bit of an experiment for me, because i originally planted the Arrow a bit low. So far i am seeing alot of new leaves coming up on the Arrow....
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Hi Kurt-
Wood chips, and lg bark nuggets don't tend to decompose rapidly enough to cause a problem with nitrogen depletion, especially if you have a regular fertilizing regime. The wood mulches that I was considering are finely ground, and tend to start composting and make heat. If your arrow seems happy then it's probably fine.

Interesting thought on raising the level of your plant :idea: . I'd like to know how it turns out.

Kurt you can consider this a reminder on our other project, which seems to be coming along well.
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
kstanwick
Location: Stillwater NJ z6a Sussex county. 20 minutes from the Del. Water Gap.

Post by kstanwick »

O'tay Panky....
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden