Growing Degree Days

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Growing Degree Days

Post by foxd »

Someone posted a link to a Wikipedia article on calculating Growing Degree Days (GDD) on one bamboo discussion group somewhere on the internet. Apparently these are useful for calculating how well a certain crops (including bamboo) will grow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growing_degree_day

Anyway, using the formulas I will make up some charts based on local data.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

RE: Growing Degree Days

Post by Iowaboo »

http://www.weather.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=ind shows all sorts of data for different cities/towns.
foxd

Post by foxd »

The university has a weather station and website that monthly raw data can be downloaded from. It's more fun to do my own data processing. :)
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
foxd

Post by foxd »

These pages work with IE, but I'm not sure about Netscape or Firefox. Also I need to do some clarrification of the labels. There are tabs along the bottom of the screen for each chart.

Growing Degree Days computed for each day and accumulated totals for the year (2001-2005).

http://129.79.74.96/foxd/bamboo/GDD/GDD.htm

Duration at each temperature broken down into degrees. Duration is in 5 minute intervals.

http://129.79.74.96/foxd/bamboo/Tempera ... rature.htm
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

JakeK
Location info: 0

Post by JakeK »

What base are you using?

This area's gdd (base 50) ranges from 3855 to 3665.
foxd

Post by foxd »

The growing degree days were computed using centigrade with a base of 18.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

JakeK
Location info: 0

Post by JakeK »

18 degrees is a rather high baseline. Was there a specific reason why that baseline was chosen? I know it may be advantageous to use different baselines when dealing with different plants or insects, but I am just curious why such a high baseline.

HDD and CDD are useful tools as well, especially to see the trend of success versus failure with marginal plants in a climate where the absolute minimum temperature exposure is higher or lower than the plant's hardiness rating.
foxd

Post by foxd »

Sorry, brain fried when I replied. The baseline is 10 degrees centigrade, not 18.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.