most overused landscape plants?

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

bamboothew
Location info: 0

most overused landscape plants?

Post by bamboothew »

What would be your nomination for most overused landscaoe plant? Mine would be the Bradford Pear! They are beautiful in bloom and overall a fine looking tree, but around here theyare in almost every yard! Also, they have cross pollinated with other varieties and spread by seed to open fields and abandoned properties :evil:
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
moriphen
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

Re: most overused landscape plants?

Post by moriphen »

Leyland Cypress, hands down one of the most overused landscape plants. They are loved simply because they grow fast and give evergreen privacy under poor conditions; but around here they suffer from wind and snow damage that never looks right afterwards.

M
M
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

moriphen wrote:Leyland Cypress, hands down one of the most overused landscape plants. They are loved simply because they grow fast and give evergreen privacy under poor conditions; but around here they suffer from wind and snow damage that never looks right afterwards.

M
They are used a lot around here as well. We don't see the wind and snow damage but they are EVERYWHERE and sometimes they are planted about 3 feet from sidewalks, which works fine until the trees are suddenly 8 feet wide :)
God Bless,

Matthew

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Nandina domestica, AKA Heavenly Bamboo.

I was even considering some myself until I found out it's poisonous.
David
San Francisco Bay Area
My zone info
My blog: Modernist Gardening
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Bradford pear. They stink in bloom, the leaves never rot, and they split just as they are getting pretty! Kill them ALL!

I like and have Nandina, I just don't eat them.
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

I am just eradicating the last of the Nandina that was on my property when I bought it 5 years ago. It always seems to looks pretty ratty in my climate, and I am not very fond of shrubs anyway. unless it is shrublike bamboo :)

I was also thinking about both pampas grass and fountain grass: they are both overused around here, and not only that, but they need to be cut back every spring and allowed to regrow. Hardly anyone does it around here, though, so what one sees is a yard totally screened off by a dozen pampas grasses, all terribly ratty looking all the time because there is a mixture of new growth and last year's dead growth--most unsightly! Besides that, they are just all to common in this area anyway. I like the more unusual things. In 5 years or so, maybe less, I will proudly have the most unusual and tropical looking yard around here :)
God Bless,

Matthew