Rhizome Pruning Tool

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

Matt W
Location info: 91

Rhizome Pruning Tool

Post by Matt W »

Just Finished this afternoon. Worked great on some cedar roots. Now if I can grow enough bamboo to need it! :)

More photos here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8xh_vYlWT0
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Re: Rhizome Pruning Tool

Post by David »

Hey Matt, that's awesome! Give us the specs.
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
bambambooboo
Location info: 0

Post by bambambooboo »

Last edited by bambambooboo on Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Without bamboo, the land dies." ~~saying
Matt W
Location info: 91

Post by Matt W »

That is one scary dude. :twisted:

David, It is made from a 1.5" scrap of some kind of tool steel from a plant that used wear resistant steel in building mining machinery. Was in my scrap pile intended to be part of a sculpture someday. It was a straight taper,the trick was heating and bending especially on the wider end. Dimensionally it is 1.5" thick around 2" at the narrow end about 4" wide at the wide end and about 6.5" where the angle cut welds to the base. Around 2' from base to tip. It may prove to be a little too long but shortening if it needs it would be easier than lengthening. I'll need to use it some more to determine if design changes will be required. The base and tip are near parallel and vertical penetration is only about 13" when level coming to me, so I think the extra length really isn't costing much leverage. Rough torch cut to bevel the leading edge may have a saw effect.
Matt