New bamboo owner

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Re: New bamboo owner

Post by stevelau1911 »

Here's what you might expect from your yellow groove divisions in another year. It turns into a grove pretty fast, but compared to other phyllostachys, it have very light foliage and doesn't get buried by the snow at all. This makes it a bit more susceptible to leaf burn, but we haven't have very cold temperatures yet. This one was planted in June of 2009. Based on yellow groove I've seen in the area, I don't think this species should get any larger than 1.5 inches by 25ft, but I'll do some selective thinning to hopefully get mine bigger.

Here's how they look like rising during the spring of this year. It didn't start out with that many culms as shown here, but it put out over 30 shoots before I thinned them out. I also doubt it will shoot as well as it did since rhizomes didn't seem to spread much this year.

If you have a pond, you should probably consider growing phyllostachys atrovaginata or any other bamboo with air channels in their rhizomes right next to it since it is supposed to do especially well next to water.
bamnoob
Location info: 0

Post by bamnoob »

Weather is slowly warming. I'm waiting for some signs of shoots. I tossed a little 10-10-10 around them also.
bamnoob

Post by bamnoob »

Still waiting, May 10th...no shoots. Should I be worried?
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

How far along are the leaf buds? Are they swelling, or are they already creating new leaves? Are there green leaves left on the plants?
moriphen
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

Post by moriphen »

We are about halfway through our Yellow Groove shooting season, I still have new shoots and I also have new culms that are leafing out. Considering your location on the coastal Connecticut plain, you should expect shoots within the week. If your Yellow Groove is in a particularly shady spot that could delay the shooting until late spring.

M
M
bamnoob

Post by bamnoob »

They get mostly sun. The leaves have brown tips. Don't know if that's from last winter or other issues. They were transplanted last summer, watered regularly and 3 of the 4 seemed to be doing very well. One did have brown leaf tips from the start.
I know I did see runners going out last fall when I mulched it.
Maybe any day now.
bamnoob

Post by bamnoob »

I feel like an expectant father. Wife just laughs....I'm sure I'm not alone with this situation. :lol:
bamnoob

Post by bamnoob »

I believe I'm seeing leaf buds. Very tiny little buds on the stems. Look like very small shoots.
bamnoob

Post by bamnoob »

Shoots are coming up on one plant. I expect the rest to follow soon.
bamnoob

Post by bamnoob »

...and rare jewels in the woods behind my house. 20 or 30.

bamnoob

Post by bamnoob »

Well things have really taken off this spring. I have about 50 new shoots. Most are spaced out a bit, but one plant has many bunched up. Should I be thinning them out?
MikeMoon01

Post by MikeMoon01 »

Hello everyone, I am also new here and this is my first post for introducing myself with all of you, I hope I'll lean more about the home different topics. so thanks