New bamboo owner

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

bamnoob
Location info: 0

New bamboo owner

Post by bamnoob »

For 20 years I have admired bamboo groves. Yesterday I found some on Craigs list 10 miles from my house.
I planted 4, 12' yellow grove culms. (Don't worry I did my research.) I need a tenacious weed like plant to cover a bank that so far I could only get weeds to grow on. They are beautiful!
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: New bamboo owner

Post by needmore »

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your new bamboo grove, Yellow Groove is a real beauty.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
bamnoob

Post by bamnoob »

I signed up here the other day and try to get a bit educated. I didn't realize this is SERIOUS stuff! :lol:
I didn't plan on growing more than one type for one purpose. (ground cover/erosion control) but seeing some of the black bamboo gets me thinking. Is this the beginning of the end?
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

If you're asking, it's already too late for you.
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Getting your first bamboo is like smoking your first cigarette. You probably won't stop at one species :lol:
Soon your property maybe your neighbors too will be filled with good looking bamboo.

Anyways if you decide to start, there are a few growers that already have a good collection of bamboos that are pretty close to connecticut. Even if you drive around a few neighborhoods bamboos are pretty easy to spot once you get used to seeing them.

Here's the bamboo map which shows forum members in relation to your area.
http://www.bambooweb.info/bb/mapbb.php
bamnoob

Post by bamnoob »

Question on propagation. As stated above I planted 4 10-12 ft plants on a hill. They are about 8ft apart.
I'm already excited about seeing new growth next spring. Question is, the hill is about a 45 degree angle.
Do you think the plant will try to grow up hill more than down? or doesn't it matter.
Lazlo Woodbine
Location info: 77

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

bamnoob wrote: Is this the beginning of the end?

See it as the end of the begining..... :D .... There really is no way back now ...

welcome aboard..

Laz
needmore

Post by needmore »

Most of my bamboo is on a slope, they will go both across,up and down hill, my slope also happens to point toward the afternoon sun so most head downhill probably because of that plus the slope. My Rubro has to be different and ran uphill as far as it could and then turned across the slope...plus ran downhill as well.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
bamnoob

Post by bamnoob »

I was getting ready to winterize my new bamboo grove.( The "grove" is 4 10 footers spaced out 8-10 ft apart.) I had to pull a bunch of honeysuckle and bittersweet before I mulch. While weeding around one of the plants I found a 4" rhizome heading down the hill. I'm so happy to see that I will have new shoots next spring. :D
Last edited by bamnoob on Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bamnoob

Post by bamnoob »

...and my 13 year old son just looked over my shoulder and saw I was on a Bamboo Forum....he called me a bamboo nerd. :lol: :lol:
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

I don't think you need to do too much to winterize yellow groove given that you are in a zone at least as warm if not warmer than where I'm at and YG doesn't leaf burn very much here. You might be able to convince your son to get into bamboo too. Just show him the shoots in the Spring and he'll probably understand.
bamnoob

Post by bamnoob »

bamnoob

Post by bamnoob »

What do I do this winter? We have a few wet snow storms every year. Are these going to bend over to the ground then spring back up when it melts? Or should I do something to help them out?
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

bamnoob wrote:What do I do this winter? We have a few wet snow storms every year. Are these going to bend over to the ground then spring back up when it melts? Or should I do something to help them out?
Most will bend over to the ground then spring back up when it melts. A few may break under the weight, but most will survive. Be aware they will throw chunks of ice when they spring back up.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
bamnoob

Post by bamnoob »

Cold and happy. I can't wait until spring and see what comes up.