crazy stormfront

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

Alan_L
Location info: 81

crazy stormfront

Post by Alan_L »

I don't know if I've ever seen a line of storms so long!

Noticed 3 of my Yellow Groove culms bent (but not creased) near the top from wind I think -- hopefully these storms tonight don't bend any more (or worse).
Attachments
weathermap_447x384.png
weathermap_447x384.png (254.07 KiB) Viewed 8400 times
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: crazy stormfront

Post by foxd »

We had the storm front pass over this morning. Only got about an inch of rain on top of the two inches of rain we got from the storms yesterday. Lots of lightning, including a strike nearby. I don't know what was hit but it was only a few hundred feet away.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

This is the damage in my backyard from some severe weather yesterday evening:

--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
needmore
Location info: 0

Post by needmore »

Nasty Roy, sorry to see that - I bet it is hot & humid today, perfect for the chainsaw work.

Alan, that front dropped 4.15 inches of rain on me.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Only about 1.5" here. Sure is nice today after that front pushed the warm humid air out of here (and dumped it all on you apparently Brad).
Roy

Post by Roy »

needmore wrote:Nasty Roy, sorry to see that - I bet it is hot & humid today, perfect for the chainsaw work.

And I'm going to have to pay for the cleanup myself. With all the hurricanes and wind damage in recent Florida history, a 2 percent deductible means I have to pay the first $2860. I'm trying to get some bids today. What came down was only a third of the tree, so I'd better go ahead and cut down the entire tree now as I know I will have to do it in a few years anyway.
Roy Rogers
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Probably not too easy to get neighbors with chainsaws helping when "free firewood" doesn't really have much attraction.

Having a tree fall is depressing, but having it fall onto something is so much worse (usually).

Looking on the bright side, it might be a little easier to get divisions from those boos now.
Roy

Post by Roy »

Alan_L wrote:Probably not too easy to get neighbors with chainsaws helping when "free firewood" doesn't really have much attraction.

Having a tree fall is depressing, but having it fall onto something is so much worse (usually).

Looking on the bright side, it might be a little easier to get divisions from those boos now.
You are right. I'll have some branched nodes to use for culm cuttings. And then they will eventually pay for the tree removal. "A blessing in disguise". :wink:
Roy Rogers
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

take photos of the damaged bamboos, get a quote from one of the nurseries as to what it would cost to replace the landscaping, turn in total to the insurance company.....

get the check from the insurance company, minus the deductable.... clean up the mess, let the boos re shoot :mrgreen:

sit back and drink a beer while someone else runs the chainsaw.....
Roy

Post by Roy »

ghmerrill wrote:take photos of the damaged bamboos, get a quote from one of the nurseries as to what it would cost to replace the landscaping, turn in total to the insurance company.....

get the check from the insurance company, minus the deductable.... clean up the mess, let the boos re shoot :mrgreen:

sit back and drink a beer while someone else runs the chainsaw.....

You forget that I'm in the Hurricane Alley State, in a Republican controlled pro-business State, with insurance policy cancellations happening every day, with my insurance premiums up 10 fold since 2003, with deductibles at an all time high, you have to save your filing a claim for a major hurricane catastrophe, which then the insurance company goes belly up and one doesn't get anything. That's Florida living now-a-days. :(
Roy Rogers
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

I know its rough there... I know someone in miami who had to take out a 3rd mortgage on his property to pay for the damage several years ago- the insurance company went flop, and he was left with the whole mess....
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

needmore wrote:that front dropped 4.15 inches of rain on me.
Brad, get the rain gauge ready, because it looks like another doozy coming your way. (Well, at least our way, but looks like it will get you Indianians too.)
Spectabilis

Post by Spectabilis »

That storm just dumped a bunch of rain on me here in SW Michigan.
Bryan
needmore

Post by needmore »

Only .90 from this one here so just 5+ inches in the past 3 days.. oh, its raining again now I hear.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

Roy...

That damage looks like what happened to my place after hurricane Dolly. I had trees everywhere. I still haven't cleaned up all the damage. Some of the branches are up high in the other trees... way to big to get down.

On another note, the big Dendrocalamus Strictus I have that was completely uprooted...

It was turned over with all the roots exposed for a number of months. It didn't die. In fact, a local organic farmer wanted some bamboo and has been carving out divisions with an axe for several weeks just recently... and they are all putting out new growth. That is one tough bamboo... probably the hardiest one I have. The books and ABS says it has damage at 30F. It went down to 24 back in 2004 with the first snow our area had seen in over 100 years. It showed NO damage at all. A lot of the D. Strictus I have seen also goes in all directions and isn't that pretty. This one seemed to have 95% straight culms.

So far, I think the organic farmer has taken about 7 divisions with about 5 or so culms in each... and all are doing well. He send pictures from time to time. I still have a small clump with about 12 culms left. I can now stand it back up in the hole. Maybe it will come back.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com