First Deer with a BOW

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

millerlightman02
Location info: 46

RE: First Deer with a BOW

Post by millerlightman02 »

You killed bambie's daddy
Michael Geis
wiener dogs and bamboo
what else is there?
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Re: RE: First Deer with a BOW

Post by rfgpitt »

millerlightman02 wrote:You killed bambie's daddy
probably has already had a nice meal out of bambie's daddy. Judging by the pic, I'd say he ended up with about 90 pounds of bambie's daddy in the freezer.
Rick
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

It's really a sad story- Bambie was raised by a single mom (Doerine), and never knew his dad. He was a ne'r do well and was constantly butting heads with other Bucks, and stayed in trouble. On that fateful morning last week it all came to an end. His doe chasing ways finally caught up with him and cost him his life. Let's all take a moment of silence while his tenderloin sizzels in the frying pan.
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

And then there is the classic video:

BAMBI MEETS GODZILLA
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

Iowaboo wrote:I always thought it would be interesting to kill one barehanded. Like jump out of a tree right on top of one and see how that goes.
Once while archery hunting from the ground I had an opportunity to take a smaller doe. I had just walked into my spot, dropped my bag and was going to spread around some of the Mrs. deer is ready pee, when a mother and her first year fawn walked right up to me and fed on acorns. I did not have an arrow knocked, but had it in my hand. She was just a bit too small or I would have. At one point her hind end was close enough I could have extended a finger and touched her. Very difficult for someone my size to control and slow there breathing that long while having a touch of "buck fever" at the same time. Alas, I couldn't wait anymore (used to chew snuff) and scared them off that way. So many close encounters in that spot I felt like Marty Stouffer.
Rick
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

when I was a senior in high school, durring rifle season I shot a nice buck about 1/4 mile from my house. one shot, bam, and he dropped like a rock. I figured that since I was so close to home, I would run back, drop off the gun, change clothes, and get down to the task of hauling him home..... when I got back, he was standing up by his front legs, hindquarters still on the ground, severly dazed.. (I was aiming for a head shot, like I was taught- dont waste meat- and hit him in the nose right in front of the eyes) being young and stupid, I thougth I would break his neck- so I walked around his back, tackled him, and began to twist his head around. we will just leave it at- it is impossible for a human to kill a deer in that manner. I decided to use my hunting knife to slit his throat, and that did not work well either. in the time it took for him to bleed out, I had been kicked several times, knocked on my butt, and in general thrown around like a wet blanket. Great lesson, although I was lucky to not get killed doing it.
We humans just dont give the animal world enough credit, or realize how wimpy we really are.
jordanM
Location info: 0
Zone 5
Temperatures usually dont get below -20 w/ windchill.

Post by jordanM »

ghmerrill wrote:when I was a senior in high school, durring rifle season I shot a nice buck about 1/4 mile from my house. one shot, bam, and he dropped like a rock. I figured that since I was so close to home, I would run back, drop off the gun, change clothes, and get down to the task of hauling him home..... when I got back, he was standing up by his front legs, hindquarters still on the ground, severly dazed.. (I was aiming for a head shot, like I was taught- dont waste meat- and hit him in the nose right in front of the eyes) being young and stupid, I thougth I would break his neck- so I walked around his back, tackled him, and began to twist his head around. we will just leave it at- it is impossible for a human to kill a deer in that manner. I decided to use my hunting knife to slit his throat, and that did not work well either. in the time it took for him to bleed out, I had been kicked several times, knocked on my butt, and in general thrown around like a wet blanket. Great lesson, although I was lucky to not get killed doing it.
We humans just dont give the animal world enough credit, or realize how wimpy we really are.
I'm surprised he didnt fling his neck back and stab you with his horns. Last year i got an 8 point and dropped him but he stayed on his front legs like yours, but i still had the gun with me and finished him off. We used to shoot ares in the head until one time got him in the jaw and tracked him for miles and he was still running we had to chase him down and put another bullet in him so that is not a very good place to get them. The best place is right behind the front shoulder you will get him in the lungs or heart like i did and they will run for only a few yards and forsurely die and there is no meat wasted in the ribs of a deer.

Yesturday i used the inner loans and made some beef jerky and man did that taste good.
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

The antlers were the only hold I had on him.... if it werent for those, there is no way I could have held on to him.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Lance is right, Tom Brown Jr. style is the way to go...
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
dudley
Location info: 44
zone 9a/b
right between too cold & not cold enough

Post by dudley »

anyone tried an atlatl?
"Plants are people just like us"
Spectabilis

Post by Spectabilis »

I shot my first deer yesterday morning before work. Needless to say I was very late for work! She was pretty large for a doe and I got her with my Pump shot gun, no scope. It was fun but guttin that thing was not!!!! I would not be a good surgeon, way to much blood and guts! But that won't keep me from trying to get a buck the next couple of days!!! We are getting lots of lake effect snow this week, that makes it easier to track the deer.
Bryan
jordanM
Zone 5
Temperatures usually dont get below -20 w/ windchill.

Post by jordanM »

Gutting is like anything else you get better the more times you do it.

I got a 9 point opening day, ill post pictures this week.