Bamboo in route from PA to SC

Locations of public displays of bamboo.

Moderator: needmore

zxylene
Location info: 0

Bamboo in route from PA to SC

Post by zxylene »

From Central PA to Edisto, South Carolina vacation. I will be driving to Edisto beach area in June and was wondering if there are any bamboo sites I should stop by and check out in route or close by. Or any places to buy bamboo that I should check out. I have caught the boo fever and need to see more and get some more varieties to grow at home. Any help/Ideas or must sees please let me know. During the drive I would rather not go more than an hour or so off track and no more than two to three hours from Edisto.
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Bamboo in route from PA to SC

Post by foxd »

Would you be passing close to Anderson, SC? If so you could check out the Moso at Silverbrook Cemetery.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
zxylene

Post by zxylene »

I thought about swinging over that way but I will be heading down I-95 so it would be about 2 hours out of the way. If it is worth seeing it may be worth the trip. Is the Anderson worth a 2 hour or more detour?

I also found Bamboo Farm & Coastal Gardens http://www.ugaextension.com/bamboo/AboutUs.html it is about 2 hours from my destination I think will be worth the drive especially since it is near the destination and will not extend the time of the drive down or home.
needmore

Post by needmore »

I confess ignorance about proximity but perhaps Mid-Atlantic Bamboo in Crewe VA and isn't the SEC Chapter's annual bamboo event in NC in June?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

zxylene,

I vote for Bamboo Farm and Coastal gardens. I enjoyed my visit there very much. While you are there make sure you see their Ph. vivax 'Aureocaulis' grove. It contains green, Huangwenzhu, Huangwenzhu Inversa, and aureocaulis.

David
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
needmore

Post by needmore »

Disregard the SEC event I mentioned, it is in July in Ashville, NC.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
moriphen
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

Post by moriphen »

I know of a few in NJ but your direct route goes nowhere near them.

M
M
Mark_NoVA

Post by Mark_NoVA »

There's a big grove of Moso (mixed with Robert Young) at the National Arboretum in DC, at the bottom of Asian Hill. There is a small amount of black bamboo and some other by the Penjing exhibit next to the main building. Those are my 2 favorite spots at the Arboretum, as well. Using 295, it's right on the way if you're using 95.
Mid-Atlantic Bamboo is worth a visit, IMHO. Call in advance and allow a couple of hours for a tour.