Identity please? Not much to go on

Moderator: needmore

Black Dog
Location info: 0

Identity please? Not much to go on

Post by Black Dog »

I’m in Australia, down south, it’s not tropical here. There was a beautiful large stand of tall green bamboo growing at the back of a restaurant. I used to love looking at it. A couple of months ago the new owners had it buudozed. Today I went to see if anything could be salvaged and I managed to get 2 little bits that had roots and shoots. I’m wondering if anyone can identify what it might be. I realise I’m not giving you much to go on.
Attachments
1BD1D85E-8757-456A-9805-5AF33AD7A1E8.jpeg
9ED784F1-746C-40E7-B4AE-16BD33B35A1E.jpeg
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Identity please? Not much to go on

Post by needmore »

Yeah, not enough to go on, it is for sure a spreading type of bamboo and if you can find out what the most common type of running bamboo in your area is, that would be a starting point. I can almost see some coloration on the shoot sheath so that is close to a clue but this shoot is too juvenile to say with any certainty. If there are dead poles still there you could look for culm features that might also help.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Black Dog

Re: Identity please? Not much to go on

Post by Black Dog »

Thanks for having a look at it. There’s only dead stumps left from the full grown canes. I’ll see if I can take some photos of them though. I’ve planted the 2 salvaged shoots in large pots, I’m thinking positive, that they will need them if they survive and recover. I’ve got a bit of land here and I’m so tempted to just stick some in the ground well away from boundary fences.