Prominens / S3 confusion?

Moderator: needmore

Jeff: Igor's Apprentice
Location info: 0

Prominens / S3 confusion?

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

So, it has been awhile since I've been active on the forums and my interest in bamboo had kind of waned, but now I'm back. Did a search for prominens and the latest hit that came back was from a couple of years ago. Is it because the "prominens" that was circulating has pretty much been determined to be the same as Shanghai 3? The last hit that came back pretty much suggested that. I have noticed that they look pretty much the same, behave the same and shoot at the exact same time. I'm thinking I'm going to remove one of the plants to make room for something else. I received the pair in the fall of 2014 I'm gathering from my private messages. Wow! How time flies!
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Prominens / S3 confusion?

Post by needmore »

Hey there, long time no type! Check out kimmei.com and I believe that you'll reach the conclusion that they are different plants. I suspect that you - like me - obtained each one of these and they seem identical. I've reached the conclusion with mine that my source thought he had both but did not, and mine are both S3.

I think that mine came from two different sources, I believe that I imported the S3 myself from Kimmei in 2005 but my memory is fuzzy. I for sure obtained the Prominens from a forum member, who obtained both I think from another forum member. Given what I know about this forum member plant trail, the original person was growing both in raised beds and propagated escapees - easy to get some mis-labelled, I think.

Not sure any of this rings true but it is my theory.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com