Ok, who can tell me what this one is...

Moderator: needmore

Bambootat2
Location info: 0

Ok, who can tell me what this one is...

Post by Bambootat2 »

i would really appreciate some help, i just moved into a place and it has a large species of bamboo in the garden, i would love to have some more of it but don't know which is is, all I can say is that the plants are about three meters tall with big wide leaves and is of the clumping variety, :D anybody out there you could recognize this and tell me the name of it i would be extremely grateful.
Attachments
IMG_20200316_223719.jpg
IMG_20200316_223748.jpg
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Ok, who can tell me what this one is...

Post by needmore »

Greetings, I would guess that it is Pseudosasa japonica which is NOT a clumping form. It may exhibit a clumping habit currently in your yard but it for sure is not and has spread mightily for some folks in some places and could in a new spot at your place.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Tarzanus

Re: Ok, who can tell me what this one is...

Post by Tarzanus »

It has semi clumping habit around here (Slovenia - Central Europe). It acts just like any clumper would act for a few years, but then it starts colonizing space around it. First it will send a few long runners. Usually they run just below the soil level, often dolphining above the surface, so they are easy to detect. In a couple of years, each of these runners will start a clump of its own. In another few years, you can wake up in the middle of a jungle.

Containing it isn't that hard for me, though. As I said, runners don't go deep in our mostly clay soil as they follow warm soil surface. Sandy soils could be a bit more of a problem.