Help to identify seedlings?

Moderator: needmore

bren
Location info: 0

Help to identify seedlings?

Post by bren »

Hi All,

I've been growing the following from seedlings. They sprouted last year in early August (2018). Can anyone help to identify from the photos? I've got my first real culm coming up, and was hoping that might help to ID.

thanks!

Bren
Attachments
mystery.bamboo.3.png
mystery.bamboo.2.png
mystery.bamboo.1.png
bren

Re: Help to identify seedlings?

Post by bren »

more photos...
Attachments
mystery.bamboo.6.png
mystery.bamboo.5.png
mystery.bamboo.4.png
mystery.bamboo.4.png (266.46 KiB) Viewed 6395 times
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

Definitely phyllostachys edulis moso bamboo since it has furry culms and leaves, long and dark long oral setae, and very grassy like thin walled culms.

Tropical species which I'm growing now in Hawaii look much different as they generally have more solid culms even as seedlings, and have much bigger jumps in culm size as a tropical bamboo seedling can become very large even with a year of growth. Here's a 4 month old dendrocalamus sinicus which is already over 2ft high in its 15 gallon pot.

Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I agree with Steve, it is almost certainly Moso. And very healthy one! As juvenile bamboo, Moso can be picky and nutrient demanding, yours seems to do great.
When it grows a bit it gets really nice. I love the small leaves and how the branches look like because of that. Sadly it is struggling in our climate. Especially during the winter.