Castillion seedlings?

Moderator: needmore

Tiv
Location info: 0

Castillion seedlings?

Post by Tiv »

Some of my Phyllostachys bambusoides castillonis started blooming at the very end of 2017 and then the rest in the spring of 2018. I live on the Oregon coast and the climate is mild and I split up the clump back in 2016 which might be why I had such an extended flowering. It is still alive but barely...

This year I now see small clumps of bamboo only a couple of feet tall at the base. Most are varigated, a couple solid green and a couple white leaved.

Opinions on if these are indeed seedlings or is it possibly the main plant trying to regrow? The Castillonis really hasn't produced any new shoots since it bloomed but continues to live. Could these be its new culms, small though they are?
bamboo reduce.jpg
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Castillion seedlings?

Post by Alan_L »

Everything is inside the are of the existing culms? That seems unlikely if they're seedlings, as I'd expect seedlings to be a bit more dispersed. BUT, maybe the outlying seedlings got pulled or eaten or whatever, and only those "protected" inside the plant survived?

I suspect the only way you'll know for sure is if you try digging one up. It should be fairly obvious if it's coming from the existing plant or is a new plant on its own.
Tiv

Post by Tiv »

That is part of what is bothering me, the limited area. I have searched out around but haven't found anything I could clearly identify as bamboo.

However, I have ducks and geese grazing in the area and the geese are particularly fond of eating new shoots and we occasionally mow the grass as well so any others might not have made it.

The ones at the base are very different from the parent plant though so I am confused. I have had this Castillion for about 9 years and these new little clumps are not like anything I have seen from it before. Particularly the white clumps of which I now count four. Also, the little solid green ones are new to the area as well. Can my variegated come back with so many different leaf colorations? I haven't had a clear view of the canes yet so no idea if they will show the yellow with green stripe yet.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Leaves with that kind of white, completely albinic leaves would not be able to survive. Even if it would, its upsize would not be that much.
If I would have to guess, I'd say it is stress triggered albinism and it grows from the original plant.
Chris S
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America
Location: SE UK 400ft Zone 8/7 Low usually 28F, -4C (-10, -12, -14, -1, -6C last 5); High 99F, 37C in 2019

Post by Chris S »

These look far far too big already to be seedlings. Some very interesting new cultivars have arisen from the rhizomes of a flowering Phyllostachys at the time of flowering. I would leave these undisturbed until they are better established and see what comes up next year.
Chris
SE England
bamboo-identification.co.uk

Think globally, act locally