Bamboo ID near DC

Moderator: needmore

Clearsky
Location info: 0

Bamboo ID near DC

Post by Clearsky »

Hi, I would appreciate it if someone can help identify the bamboo in the attached photo. It grows upto 40 feet high and 2.5 inch in diameter. Thanks in advance.
bamboo id please
bamboo id please
dependable

Re: Bamboo ID near DC

Post by dependable »

There are a few it types it could be. It is almost certainly in the Phyllostachys. If at 40 feet I'd guess vivax, or rubromarginata or one I'm not as familiar with. The slight zig zag in some of the culms suggest aurosulcata, but I think they usually max out a little less than 40ft.

The best and surest way to ID them is by the new shoots that come up in the spring, these have more distinct markings than mature growth.
Clearsky

Post by Clearsky »

Thanks for your help in identifying the species. The zig zag feature in the lower portion only appears in some of them. Most of them do not have this. Also, I rarely see any yellow color in the culm. Most of them are less than 1 inch in diameter but more than 20 feet tall. I can upload more photos later.

Again, thanks. This is a great Forum for bamboo. As a new comer, I am impressed.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Phyllostachys aureosulcata proper or one of the clan is most likely, find a newer culm, probably richer color and do an 'up culm' rub, it should be rough. Older culms not so much but younger you'll feel it.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com