thoughts ?

Moderator: needmore

dependable
Location info: 0

Re: thoughts ?

Post by dependable »

With aurea, wouldn't there be more compressed internodes at the base of the culms?
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

O.K., with new pictures now me leans toward glauca...
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Mackel in DFW

Post by Mackel in DFW »

Confirmed that aurea can get three inches. M
terrabamboo

Post by terrabamboo »

Does anyone want any of this shipped to them? Just pay shipping costs. Can send you some rhizomes or a topped plant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Terra Bamboo
300 acre Bamboo Plantation Project
Focusing on Henon, Moso, Robert Young, Rubro, Vivax and Fargesia
terrabamboo

Post by terrabamboo »

Mackel, there are some that are 3.45" - still possible?

Terra Bamboo
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

That's like twice the normal max. It's possible, but it must be in ideal place with a lot of poos and pees available. They usually say it's up to 5m tall and 3cm thick around here in Europe and it grows up to 9m in Japan. I think if there's that much difference, and if in Japan it gets up to 3 inches, perhaps septic field can allow it to grow even a bit more.

If Moso would also grow two times it's size, tell them they can visit you for vacations. Build them latrine and gather their valuable droppings. :mrgreen:
Mackel in DFW

Post by Mackel in DFW »

Since it gets three inches in Ft. Worth, I'd say absolutely, it could get larger in Mississippi. I'm beginning to believe the story about the E. Texas grove. Some plants do better where they are not in their native range. I'm not sure bamboo is native to Japan, in the first place, it was probably introduced from China. Japanese timber bamboo, if it was from China, originally, might just happen to do grow larger in Japan.

But aurea has compressed internodes at the base, and this should be easy to confirm, T. It looks like a tortoise's shell.

I also believe, altough I cannot state it with any (+95%) certainty, that fertilizing bamboo will not make it get any larger, ultimately, becuase my intuition tells me that rainwater/humidity/temperature/soil pH is more relevant to it's ultimate size. None of the champion trees in the world get ferilized, so why would it be any different with bamboo? It might upsize faster-- but grow larger than it normally would ?

M
JWH

Post by JWH »

Mackel in DFW wrote:Since it gets three inches in Ft. Worth, I'd say absolutely, it could get larger in Mississippi. I'm beginning to believe the story about the E. Texas grove. Some plants do better where they are not in their native range. I'm not sure bamboo is native to Japan, in the first place, it was probably introduced from China. Japanese timber bamboo, if it was from China, originally, might just happen to do grow larger in Japan.

But aurea has compressed internodes at the base, and this should be easy to confirm, T. It looks like a tortoise's shell.

I also believe, altough I cannot state it with any (+95%) certainty, that fertilizing bamboo will not make it get any larger, ultimately, becuase my intuition tells me that rainwater/humidity/temperature/soil pH is more relevant to it's ultimate size. None of the champion trees in the world get ferilized, so why would it be any different with bamboo? It might upsize faster-- but grow larger than it normally would ?

M
Your last paragraph makes alot of sense to me...Maybe i'm mistaken...but bamboo has been growing pretty good unfertilized in china for awhile no?

Or maybe their air pollution has secret powers we dont know about! :P
terrabamboo

Post by terrabamboo »

China has documented studies that heavy fertilization program increases yield per acre. Yield, being overall biomass. Actual diameter should be regulated from the gene pool (mainly species) in my mind - unless PGRs are in play, which I doubt here. There may be a 10% over achiever, but when 50% of all culms are over the "species norm" (2" in this case) it seems to me it a species reconsideration may be in order?
Terra Bamboo
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

But then again Aurea is one of the most widespread bamboos and they should find out that it gets way larger than documented. Perhaps there is something in the soil that allows them to grow larger.
I'd say fertilization might help, because plant gets all needed nutrients without a hassle. In established system, root and rhizome system can be almost root bound. If there's leaking septic system around, they will most likely benefit from all the water and excessive nutrients provided. Not saying it's related, just trying to figure out what could be the cause of those monstrously large culms.

What kind of soil do they have there? High in Silicon? Any of the (micro) elements in abundance?
Mackel in DFW

Post by Mackel in DFW »

I don't know who you are asking, Tarzan, but at the arboretum, decades and decades of growth, a tremendous amount of runoff rain, mild winters, a very long growing season, lots and lots of heat, unknown ferilizaton/irrigation scheme, culling of smaller culms, self-mulching for years and years, and otherwise, unexceptional soil (nutrient rich clay that's a little high in pH). M
terrabamboo

Post by terrabamboo »

FYI, I am going with aurea but with septic sewage fertilizer (my clothes smell AWFUL).
truly amazing with human waste will blowout normal ranges (3.5" dia).

Terra Bamboo